iBook and AOL Broadband

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by llewsuk, Oct 15, 2005.

1. llewsuk macrumors newbie

Hi All

I am currently using aol broadband on a pc via a wirless netgear router/modem, and am considering buying an ibook - do i need anything in particular to connect the ibook up to the wireless network? Would i have to buy the Aiport base for example?

Thanks in advance!

Rich

2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Nope. You don't need anything!

Plug 'n play! - That is how Mac is, Plug 'n play and it just.... works ;)
    Welcome to MacRumors, btw! :)

3. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

4. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

Airport Express is definitely a much better option as it works flawlessly with your ibook. You can have internet connection, streaming iTunes music and printing - all wirelessly.

However, you can still keep and use your wireless netgear router/modem if you choose too. ;)

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Airport Express vs. Wireless Netgear Router = No difference.

Meh, the Airport Express might be a little easier to setup, but it's not worth $130 if you already have a router w/ wireless.

:)

6. super mini (mac macrumors regular

it is if you want to make a wireless network like i did, i had to buy 3, because of the long strech, i disabled the wireless on my router (i have a feeleing my next door neibour was hacking in and on the router the passwords are a sod) so i use a wep 40 on the expreess thats ethernetted to the router, i in my computer room as a booster and relay, and 1 in my bed room as a remote so when i get my power book that can go in there, but is mainly used for airtunes at the moment

7. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

My parents have the same thing at home, except with cable internet and AOL's bring your own service. The wireless router works flawlessly with my mom's PC laptop, my brother's laptop (which he uses to play final fantasy online) and my PowerBook. It would work perfectly with my dad's iMac as well, but he's paranoid about the internet so he doesn't ever go online.

Many of my friend's have similar setups and they work well. Don't get an airport base station, you don't need it.

8. super mini (mac macrumors regular

i wouldnt say that, it depends what you want it for. since i created my wireless network ive had nothing but bliss, internet is faster, becasue of a stronger connection. and i can wirelessly pipe music around my house, if you just want the internet then ok do that,

if you want airtunes, a printer in a differant room (say you have little space where you keep your pc) or you want to use it comunialy then the AE is defffinatly the way to go, just because ou only use it for internet and not to its full potential doesnt mean its a waste of time, it just means you have little use for spending 88 quid, for me i can just grab an ethernet cable and attach an xbox or ps3 (when i get 1) to my AE and have that connected 2.

now thats what you call a wireless network, not just internet browsing

and thats what AE's are for, realy

9. llewsuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice - will post back when i join the apple revolution, which will hopefully not be too long away! :)

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You may need to purchase a new router. It depends on what broadband AOL gives you. If you have AOL DSL, you can use the PPPoE standard and connect normally. If you have AOL Cable, you need a AOL branded router for non-PCs.