iBook and bluetooth

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Danrose1977, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

Anybody out there got an iBook with the blutooth add in? I'm thinking of buying an iBook but not sure as to whether the bluetooth add in is worth it...

Primarily I want it so I can get a wireless apple mouse. I currently have no other bluetooth devices and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to other devices that may proove usefull. Will I need it to "future proof" (what a stupid phrase!) my iBook?

Also does anybody know the chances of whether this will become a standard part of iBooks in the next revision? And how soon will that be (guestimates of course)?

Cheers,

Dan

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

it will be really nice to have internal bluetooth that way you don't need to have an adaptor sticking out of your ibook hogging a usb port
    besides wireless mice and keyboards, bluetooth is also used in cell phones wireless headsets palm pilots

3. bgotori macrumors newbie

Hey thehuncamunca

So the iBook BlueTooth is a Dongle and not a built-in Transmitter??? That SUCKS... But I guess for the $50 it cost I should have expected this...

Thanks!!!

Brad Gotori
    bgotori@netscape.net

4. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

You can specify it as a built-in option for $50 also man :) It has to be specified on order, though :)

peace.

5. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Re: iBook and bluetooth

DAN, will Bluetooth become "standard" in the future like the 56k modem?
    I think it is likely but no guarantee. Even Printers are now coming with Bluetooth installed or as an option. Now that's useful.

With your first device, you'll have to spend the $50 for a Bluetooth adapter, the choice is whether
    you ORDER your iBook with it installed inside NOW, or
    you are stuck with sticking a Bluetooth adapter into a USB external port later.

If you "plan" to get even one wireless Bluetooth device, then by all means get it installed internally. I love being able to iSync my iBook with my Sony cell phone using wireless Bluetooth. I dislike having to plug-in the adapter outside, which blocks both USB ports while only using one. I really wish Bluetooth was inside.

Like you, I prefer to use an external mouse device, actually a Kensington Expert Mouse™ Trackball, and wish I had purchased the wire-less version. My next Keyboard will be wireless Bluetooth.

Attached Files:

6. Darwinstoy macrumors newbie

i always use my ibook with its bluetooth dongle to synchronize with my cell phone and it works beautifully! i am in love with bluetooth...:D

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Get Bluetooth built in. Don't think about it, just do it. You won't be sorry. Trust me.

8. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Always order BlueTooth built-in your new G4 iBook

Yes, I agree with Koodauw 100% and trust his advice, even if you do not currently have or even plan to use Bluetooth, just do it! The bonus is, it should add value to your iBook if and when you sell it, even if you personally never use it. But, chances are, you will be using Bluetooth and sooner than you imagine. :cool:
    http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/
    I was in an Airport once and got an unexpected invitation via Bluetooth to accept a Contact card (her.vcf) from someone; happily, I did. Turned out to be a very attractive young lady with good taste (not just in men, she had a PowerBook) and I didn't even know you could do that. Shortly, I got another invitation from a SONY Cellphone asking if I would accept a photo download, several images in fact.
    1. her
    1. me
    3. cup of coffee (non-verbal communication)
    Turns out she wanted more than for me to buy her a cup of coffee, she wanted to talk "Mac" while waiting for her plane. Now we have to use iChatAV instead of Bluetooth, but that's ok. For MacBuddies, wireless can mean no strings attached. ;) :p

Attached Files:

9. bgotori macrumors newbie

Hey _pb_boi

That's GREAT!!! Thanks!!! Man I really Don't Want Any Dongle Thingie...

Thanks!!!

Brad Gotori
    bgotori@netscape.net

10. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I did not get my iBook with Bluetooth because I didn't think I would every really need it. But if I could do it over again, I probably would. The only reason is for a Bluetooth mouse. I only use mice for video games, but it would be nice to have one that is Bluetooth. The price for BT mice are expensive, with the logitech being close to $100. You'll have your iBook for a while and you never know when you'll want to have Bluetooth in the future.

lasuther

11. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

lasuther, since I have never enjoyed using a mouse-mouse, I have always bought a Kensington Trackball for each new Mac for the last decade at least. Mice move around on a pad, trackballs sit still and let the ball do the walkin' with the touch of your fingers.
    Therefore, I have always thought paying $100 for what I want in a trackball is normal. Since I touch the keyboard and trackball all day, I want the best - just like tires and brakes on a car, they are what keep you on the road and your auto insurance low.
    The Apple mice all sit in my bottom desk drawer, unused but not unloved. Only one baby mouse so far, but it was an IOGear
    Like the idea of the new Scroll Ring around the black trackball, and wireless. Maybe when I get a G5, if I have any money left after buying a dual, a couple of gig in RAM, a Cinema Display, etc. :p

Attached Files: