ibook and crossover cables

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by state_of, Dec 6, 2005.

1. state_of macrumors newbie

Well I've noticed something really weird by pure accident ...it is not that important but it did got my attention and if anyone knows why I would like to know for sure

first of all i have an ibook, an adsl line and a telindus adsl modem. With the modem I have two computers connected ....my ibook and my brothers windows based machine...By accident in my ibook i used a crossover cable to connect with the modem..and by suprise the internet worked. I tryied the same cable in the windows based machine kai ofcourse it didn't work.... It really seems weird (the straightthrought cable works fine with both mac kai windows computers).

thnx :D

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Macs have the intelligence built in to auto-connect independent of the cable type. It doesn't matter what kind of cable you use, your Mac sorts it out internally. Cool, huh? :cool:

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I didn't know that. That's kinda cool!

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep - just another one of those little things which make Macs so cool. ;) :cool:

5. generik macrumors 601

generik

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Not sure about the mini specifically, but all Macs dating back to G3 PowerBooks (and probably earlier) have this capability, so I don't know why Apple would disable this in any of its newer offerings.