iBook and Final Cut Pro4 ??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by starcrossed, Aug 26, 2003.

1. starcrossed macrumors regular

I have been really dying to get an Apple laptop, especially a PowerBook, but right now the price is a little steep for me, so I was considering a iBook instead. I am an avid Final Cut Pro user, and even though I know that the system requirements on FCP4 state that it needs at least a G4 500mhz processesor, has anyone been able to still get it to run on their iBook. I ask this because I have read many debates that the G3 and the G4 are really not that much different, so would a 900mhz G3 be pretty close to a 500mhz G4? I know I probably could on the iBook downgrade to FCP 2 or 3, but have read some problems on import those projects into FCP4.

I also was curious if anyone has upgraded to a superdrive for their iBook, from that one company, and how would you rate its performance with iDVD, DVDSPro?

Right now I just feel since I really want a laptop, just go with the iBook and save the big bucks for when G5s hit the powerbooks. So should I shell out the money and buy and the iBook, or will I just be frustrated cause of the problems of the demanding problems. Advice is greatly appreciated.

2. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I say wait for what Paris has to hold. iDVD won't run on a G3 processor.

I'm not sure if FCP will run on the iBook however in your situation you would be much better off with a 12 inch updated PB which I believe will have a 1Ghz G4 and possibly an 80 gb hard drive option.....and backlit keys :)

3. starcrossed thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I've thought about a 12'' Powerbook, that would only be like $300 more than what I would be spending for a 14'' iBook, but its the 12'' screen that I'm not too thrilled about. It just seems really small, and when editing you need some room. I guess its just cause I'm used to my iMac 15" flat panel. I really liked the 15'' Powerbook, but the price is a little hefty as is the 17''.

4. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

You have to remember though that the 14inch and 12 inch iBook have the same resolution so you're really not gaining more space.

The powerbook has the ability to do video spanning at 1600 x 1200 which should be plenty for video work....

Then again how much work are you going to do on the road vs. next to a monitor...

At least with the powerbook you're gaining the ability to do video spanning to a second monitor at a higher res. where as with the iBook you can only do video mirroring although I don't know what resolution it supports for video out...

I'm not by any means a video editor but I have done some iMovie's on my 12 inch iBook and also use photoshop and find I'm not that limited by the screen.

All that said, I'm gunning for a new 12inch Powerbook as soon as Steve says GO...

5. starcrossed thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't even know the 14" iBook and 12"Powerbook had the same resolution. Yeah, it seems like a Powerbook would be the ideal choice, since my productivity and performance would no doubt match my desktop's. I would not only be able to utilize all the features of FCP4 but also LiveType, Soundtrack,and DVDSPro, and iDVD if I get the Superdrive option. So I guess I can just sit here and save money until Apple releases the new revisions into the world, since it would be pointless to buy one now, when you could get a better one at the same price, in a few weeks or so.

6. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Final Cut Pro 4 requires a 350 MHz G4 processor with an AGP 4x graphic card or better. So in other words, it will not run on an iBook. You would need a PowerBook to run Final Cut Pro. For the minimum recommend hardware, click here.

7. prajnaparamita macrumors newbie

You cannot install FCP to iBook.
    I tried.:( It didn't work.

8. actionslacks macrumors regular

FCP 4 is not exactly going to scream on the 12". You might also think about getting a good deal on the tiBook after the new PBooks come out. You would get better screen real estate and better performance.

My 2cents.

9. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

We're talking about the new 12, not the current 867 G4.

My guess is that it will be a 1Ghz G4 in the new 12.

10. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Is there any "hacks" to get it to install on an iBook? I kinda wanna check it out.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

According to Apple's website you need a 350mhz G4 (the 900 mhz G3 is A LOT faster than that) and AGP graphics, the iBook has AGP 2x. Apple's website says nothing about 4x needed. I think that FCP 4 would run on an iBook, whether or not it would run well....

12. prajnaparamita macrumors newbie

you can not install it!:(

FCP does the system check and if the system doesn't match the minimun requirement, it stops installing.

my box of FCP is sitting useless in my room, until my G5 comes!!:)

13. Gr00gyman macrumors newbie

New powerbooks!?

Really, I didn't know that they were going to come out with those new powerbooks? Will the ibooks be updated to g4's?, I mean it is about $1,350 thats expensive, and cannot even run some of todays latest programs. Where as you spend that much on a PC you could easily have a system fast enough to run the programs that require G4's.

14. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Haven't been browsing the Powerbook forums huh? :D

They should be announced at Paris (they should have been announced a long time ago). Backlit keyboard in the entire line along with the 15 inch moving to the Alu form factor. 12 inch should be getting a 1 ghz G4 (most likely) with FW 800 and hopefully L3 cache (Please please). Hopefully support for 1 gig + ram. 15 and 17 should top out at 1.25 to 1.33 maybe 1.42s. Possible options for 80gb HDs. Hopefully the superdrives will be offically moved to 2x for the portables.

I don't see iBook updates soon. They are a consumer model not ment to run the pro apps that require G4s. iBook moves to G4's when Powerbooks get G5s.

The 800mhz iBook I have runs everything (sans pro tools) well enough for who they are built for..students and casual users.