Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendan67

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
hey

how come the apple logo lights up on an iBook
- but not on an iMac???:confused:

regards

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
brendan67 said:
hey

how come the apple logo lights up on an iBook
- but not on an iMac???:confused:

regards
I think it's advertising. People with iBooks are likely to take it on the road, where people can see it and go 'ooo I want one, what is it? Oh it's an Apple'. IMacs are generally used at home or schools so there's noone to sell to...

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
The Apple lights up on the iBook's and PowerBook's because it's actually the LCD backlight.

It doesn't on the iMac's because all the components of the computer are directly behind the LCD, blocking the backlight from shining through.

tom_s

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2005
PCMacUser said:
I think it's advertising.

Yes, it looks pretty cool if a diskjockey uses an PB and you only see the glowing apple.

Also they get it for free because it's just the LCD's backlight (if you decrease the brightness, the apple gets darker, too).

brendan67

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
thanks

hey

thanks guys - just ocurred to me that the iBook did
and iMac did'nt.

regards:)

khammack

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2004
Portland, OR
tom_s said:
Yes, it looks pretty cool if a diskjockey uses an PB and you only see the glowing apple.

Also they get it for free because it's just the LCD's backlight (if you decrease the brightness, the apple gets darker, too).
Works both ways too; when my powerbook backlight goes to sleep and I'm sitting in front of a bright light source (window) I can see a faint backward apple logo on my black powerbook screen.

-kev

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.