iBOok and Photoshop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by m4c, Apr 2, 2004.

1. m4c macrumors newbie

Well, I was set on an iBook but I'm unsure if it'll be able to run apps like photoshop, dreamweaver, Qrk, Illustrator....I'm in school for Graphics Design and I'm going to be using these apps frequently. Now I'm gonna go Apple for sure, what I need to know is do I have to go PowerBook?

Can an iBook runs these apps if I max out the RAM? Or do I have to bite the bullet and spend more cash for the PowerBook. A 12" PowerBook is what I really want, but maxing out the RAM, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme, Applecare, and an Airport Station it adds up.

What do you think I should do?
    BTW how far off are the PB updates? Soon?

Thanks for your time.

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

The Photoshop CS system requirements are:

PowerPC® G3, G4, or G5 processor
    Mac OS X v.10.2 through v.10.3
    192MB of RAM (256MB recommended)
    320MB of available hard-disk space
    Color monitor with 16-bit color or greater video card
    1,024x768 or greater monitor resolution
    CD-ROM drive

The Dreamweaver MX 2004 system requirements are:

500 MHz Power PC G3 processor
    Mac OS X 10.2.6 and later, 10.3
    128 MB computer RAM (256 MB recommended)
    275 MB available disk space

The Illustrator CS system requirements are:

PowerPC® G3, G4, or G5
    Mac OS X v.10.2 through v.10.3
    192MB of RAM (256MB recommended)
    470MB of available hard-disk space
    CD-ROM drive
    For Adobe PostScript printers: Adobe PostScript Level 2 or PostScript 3

The QuarkXPress 6 system requirements are:

Mac OS X v10.2 (Jaguar) or later
    CD-ROM drive for installation
    Minimum 128MB total RAM
    230MB available hard disk space for QuarkXPress installation
    TCP/IP network for site license (using Quark License Administrator)

The iBook easily meets all these requirements, although I would recommend putting at least 512 MB of RAM in for best performance. Mac OS X takes advantage of any RAM that's there.

As for PowerBook updates, no one knows exactly when they'll be, but they are rumoured to be soon.

3. jsj macrumors newbie

Where's the misconception of these app's not running on an iBook coming from? There have been so many of these posts recently. Running Photoshop CS, Flash MX, and Dreamweaver MX on an iBook is NOT a problem on my 12" iBook 800mhz, even when I had less than 512MB of RAM. If you are a student and have to purchase all of that software, the money saved buying an iBook could be better spent. Powerbooks are excellent, but so are iBooks.

4. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I run Photoshop 7 on my 500MHz PowerBook with only 256MB ram... the iBook will be fine for those apps. Of course, the more ram you have the better.

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Hey, until i bought my G5, the 233mhz iMac was my dreamweaver machine! OS X 288mb RAM! Trust me, ANY iBook can run any of your apps, and the 12" iBook G4 is a sweet machine. :rolleyes: buy it! (But yeah, RAM is good)

6. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

ibook

Why do people think iBook are the worst Macs? When I see questions like I think "Hmm, I wonder if my iBook is fast enough to use Safari or Internet Explorer?" Come on people!

7. sen_almighty macrumors member

when do you think they will increase the resoluion of the 14 inch ibooks?

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Thank you! I've been wondering that myself. What a bunch of crap, as anybody who owns one can tell you.

I run Dreamweaver and Photoshop 7 on a G3 iBook (700mhz). No problems. I now have 640MB RAM, but even when I had 256 everything was cool. My Photoshop work on that computer is pretty lightweight. On filters, etc that take a lot of processor power it's on the slow side--but workable. The new G4 iBooks should work great.

As for PowerBook vs. iBook, the power is pretty nearly the same. PowerBook will accept more memory and has a couple things here and there that the iBook doesn't. The biggest difference is that iBooks don't come with Superdrives. If you don't need to burn DVDs then save some money and get the iBook.

By the way, since you mentioned AppleCare--you don't have to buy it up front. You have a year to buy it. Also, I'll give you the usual warning about Apple's RAM--it's overpriced so don't buy from them. And if you need a wireless base station, you don't have to buy Apple. Netgear, D-Link, and Linksys all have models that do the same thing for less money.

I want to use my iBook as a doorstop, but I have been told it's not fast enough.

9. m4c thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies..

To tell you the truth, I've read all these misconceptions from the apple.com forums. I posted a similar question and everyone tells you/me to buy a PowerBook the iBook will run slow.

That's one of the reasons why I reposted the same question over here. I thought it would be ok..Thanks for everything, I'm most likely picking up an iBOok this week or next. Unless some new PowerBooks come in the meantime, then I might pick up the 12".

Thanks again. Apple owns.

10. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i'll chime in, but just because i also am a graphic design major in college, and i also use these apps on a regular basis. it's fine. don't worry about it.

upgrade the ram (crucial) and it's wonderful. i love it!

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

Are you serious? Have you even used both machines on an everyday basis?

12. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

No, I'm going by specs and limited experience. The PowerBooks cost $500 more for good reason (and if you need a PowerBook it's worth it), but most people, especially people who "just want a laptop" (which seems to be most people who ask about them) won't miss the extra features of the PowerBook. They'll notice that they can't burn DVDs, but that's about it. If they can live without that they should save money and get an iBook.