iBook and Powerbook users do you use the trackpad as a mouse button?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by slooksterPSV, Oct 7, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I'm curious to see who does and who doesn't use the track pad to click the mouse instead of pressing the button on the iBook and PowerBooks. If you don't know about this setting its in System Preferences. I can click by tapping my finger on the track pad. I like that about laptops sometimes. Cause it's almost faster to do that than to press the button IN MY OPINON (that really does depend on what you're doing. Like me I can click links faster like that, instead of having to move my index finger or thumb to the click button)

Just curious.

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree that enabling the finger tapping as a mouse click is faster computing for the most part; but I'm clumsy and I would go crazy accidentally clicking left and right so I'm very happy using my actual 'button' clicker thingamajig. :eek:

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

oh gosh... i HATE that feature... i'm always clicking and screwing things up when i dont mean to... ugh

4. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

NOOO, it's EVIL!!!! like MICROSOFT!!!!!

so I don't use it

5. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Just found what you guys are talking about. I used that feature for five minites, and it annoyed me to no end. So I go back to using the button.

6. inlimbo macrumors 6502

I dont use it either. Looks like we are all to uncoordinated to use it! :p

7. wongulous macrumors 6502a

I keep my right index finger on the trackpad and right thumb on the button. It takes no extra time to engage my thumb. What are you guys talking about time savings?! :confused:

Also, I have disabled that feature. Same story--tried it for 5 minutes, resulted in too many unnecessary clicks, felt clunky, etc.

8. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

I use it and it works fine for me? :confused:

It only "clicks" when I *tap* on the trackpad.

Do you guys constantly tap the trackpad while you move your fingers around or something?

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I absolutely love it... couldn't live without it. Drag-lock is a lot of fun too, once you ascend in your mastery. ;) It just feels natural since the 17" has such a huge trackpad. I still use the button though, I would say it's about 50/50.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't care for tap to drag, but I do use tap to click. I also use sidetrack, so I have a corner tap set to the "right mouse button," and the right and bottom edges set to scroll. But to be honest, I use a mix of tap to click, the trackpad button, and the external mouse. Depends loosely on the situation, and also randomness, I guess. :eek:

11. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I'm like most of the other posters, used it when I first got my PB (a little more than a year ago) couldn't stand it as I was clicking on everything, so now I just use the mongo button below the track pad. Have to say though that I love the iScroll option of two fingers on the pad for a right-click, use that option tonnes, as well as the scroll (which I guess all new books have). But no go for the on pad clicking for these uncoordinated appendages.

12. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I didnt notice that option thx for pulling it to my attention I like it

13. Studawg7 macrumors regular

tried both and have stuck with the trackpad and button only scheme, no index finger tapping on my trackpad. i would always get too many non click clicks or whatever.

14. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I tried it for some time, but I just couldn't get used to it. It just feels "odd" (seriously, it just feels funny to tap the pad). I usually keep one finger on the button at all times, anyway, so I don't save any time either way.

15. rccola70 macrumors regular

I've been using it since I got my iBook..a little something I brought over during the switch I guess...no problems really except trying to drag stuff..have to roll your fingers for precision... :rolleyes:

16. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Add me to what seems to be the less popular group. I have the trackpad set to click when I tap. I don't use the drag feature though, but I didn't care for the trackpad very much when I couldn't tap.

17. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I hate that "feature." It always accidentally triggers and causes me to click things and drag things that I didn't intend to. I leave it off on my PowerBook, but when I use other people's notebooks (PC and Mac), it sometimes really frustrates me.

18. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I use both the trackpad the the button on the bottom. I think my mouse and trackpad are dieing since I been using the bluetooth tablet's pen to do my gaming. People say I have a super DS since im using the pen to play FPS games.

19. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Whoa, I can't use the pen to play games, not even on a DS, its just not comfortable cause I haven't used it for a whole week. That's about how long it takes me to adjust to a new controller. most of the time though, if its similar to another controller - like Xbox and Playstation - then I get the handle of it in about a day. Now I used PSX and XBX as an example cause the XBX controller is like twice as big as the PSX, but has a few less buttons. So don't take that the wrong way. Ok. Got it? ok, u sure? ok, just making sure. Still? ok good.

I hate the Nintendo GC's new controller. That, to me, just looks so horrible, half and half of a controller.

20. portent macrumors 6502a

I normally use a mouse with my PowerBook, but for when I'm mobile, I have the tap-to-click and the double-tap-and-drag options enabled.

I find it frustrating to try to drag anything while holding my thumb on the button (always cranking my wrist into odd positions) Since you can't have one without the other, I have them both on. I don't use the drag-lock, though.

And the scrolling trackpad rocks my world.

21. Jsmit macrumors regular

When I first got my PowerBook, I thought that I would love the tap to click feature. It turns out that I don't love it. I went back to using the button.

22. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Do exactly the same thing..
    Two fingers on two different spots..
    Or are you guys having difficulty multi-tasking?

23. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

The main reason I like it, is because when the trackpads came out, that is how I knew to click things with it. So using the button kind of felt a little cheap to me, like Apple couldn't develope a way to tap the track pad. But I'm going to get rid of it here soon because I keep slipping and hitting the pad and clicking on links I didn't want to go on. Yes I do harness my thumb over the button. and Have my forefinger over the track pad. So I'll be changing it.

24. UTB_Avid macrumors member

I tap the trackpad. I guess I started using it when I was in school because my button seemed to click abnormally loudly and I didn't want to disturb my roomates sleep. Now I am really used to it and really appreciate it.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I love the trackpad tapping for clicks, but I always accidentally click when typing or something and it just screws things up so I leave it disabled. IMO, Apple needs to make it so you have to use 2 fingers for it to tap to be registered as a click to help prevent accidental taps. Say, 2 fingers for left click, 3 for right click. That would be awesome.