iBook and the black "hand" marks on the handrests...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MUCKYFINGERS, Nov 10, 2005.

1. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

You know what I'm talking about, iBook owners? The black marks from your hands that stain the white handrest area of the iBooks? How do you manage to clean that? Or do you just accept it and move on with life?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I always wash my hands before using either Mac (I am fully aware of just how sad that is) but I'd give something like Windex a go. Spray some onto a cloth and start scrubbing. :)

3. buddhagoth macrumors newbie

Besides the good advice about washing hands, which isn't always possible for me witha laptop on the go, I've always had success with using the commercial product "Goo Gone". It's fairly gentle and seems to work harder the longer it stays on. I used it on my old clamshell iBook's surfaces with no ill effects and have used it on several kinds of white and off-white polycarbonate with no problems.

Cordially,
    B.G.

4. vga4life macrumors 6502

"Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" sponges are great for this - just don't rub too hard if you have a painted palmrest like on the iBook G3. I believe iBook G4 palmrests are solid white plastic, not painted.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I've heard apple employees use iklear. I've tried a slightly damp and soapy cloth, but some soap got in the space around the track pad and it was a real pain for a while, so I wouldn't recommend that!

6. gregorydanger macrumors member

I second the "Mr. Clean Magic Erasers." When I had an iBook, I used them and they worked wonderfully.

7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I just put on Palm screen protector films on my iBook's palm rest areas. It is transparent and give good protection from bio hazard human hands may discharge.

8. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

9. newmaccanada macrumors member

I'll third this -- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works like a charm. One quick skim with a barely damp eraser and the handrest mark disappears. I a careful to keep my hands clean, but I still get this handrest mark.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I fourth this. (can I do that?)
    Really, as soon as I saw the thread title I thought of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, but others beat me to it.
    Those erasers have cleaned things in my house that powerful (and dangerous) chemicals/cleaners haven't been able to get rid of. (like the gunk on my stainless steel hood above my stove, that stuff had been there for 20 years before Mr. Clean came along)

11. diehldun macrumors 6502a

12. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I'm going to fifth the Magic Eraser, if I can. My clumsy self managed to get permanent marker on my iBook and this took care of it like a champ. Just go easy on it, as it may take paint off if yours is painted. This, in my opinion, will work wonders and is a great alternative to chemicals, which I am wary on using an ANY computer, let alone my precious Mac. (Even though certain chemical products may be well tested and deemed as safe, I am still wary of using any chemical on my computer)

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I say just deal with it.

At least it doesn't bother me one bit. I do highly recommend an iSkin though (keyboard protector). I just figure if it doesn't degrade the computers performance then I can deal with it. Not to mention it adds character.

14. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Whatever you do DO NOT USE GOO GONE OR GOO OFF. I used that today. Made the surface extremely white - it was melting the iBooks casing. And, it makes it rough. I learned this the hard way. DO NOT USE THAT WAY. :( :eek:

I used fingernail remover on my old iPod. totally ƒüçkéd it up. But, I sold it to my bro for 200 bucks and i bought the iPod I have in my sig. :D That made it rough and bad looking.

15. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Good God !:eek: !!:eek: Didn't know such a product was even available. Most people use pliers where I come from.....

16. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Is it safe to use anything (even magic erasers) to clean touchpads?

17. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It doesn't for me... think I'll have to give Mr. Clean a go... And lilstewart92 do you mean nail polish remover? ;) That stuff is very abrasive; I'm surprised it didn't cause even more damage (well, can't really say w/out seeing pictures).

18. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

But wow, magic erasers.. makes it like brand new.... Highly recommended. great advice!!

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Ok, yeah, wow. Many thanks to all those recommending the magic erasers. My ibook now sparkles again. It even took off a bit of pen that was on the upper edge around the screen, no problem. Truly amazing. Thanks all!

20. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

ITASOR <3's Mr. Clean's Magic Erasers.

They were on sale the other day at Walmart, btw, so I stocked up! Great stuff!

21. California macrumors 68040

California

Didn't believe all you guys about the magic erasers. But just got a couple of month old ibook with slightly dirty palmrests. Water and microfiber cloth didn't clean it.

So i remembered I had one of those magic erasers somewhere.

Oh thank you Lord! My ibook palmrest is SPOTLESS. Unreal.

Now, anyone know if the G4 iBook palmrests are painted or are they just treated plastic? I have a feeling they are just plastic?

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Told ya! ;)

23. lpshean macrumors regular

lpshean

I cant seem to find Magic Erasers in the UK! (or at least ive tried on ebay and cant find em. :p )

I tried a normal white eraser and it worked to some extent but you can still see that it's slightly dirty.

Anyone from the UK have any idea?

24. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Have you tried the grocery store or Safeway or any place like that? They sell them at Target and the grocery and places like that over here, so if they exist across the pond you should be able to find them pretty easily.

Also, did anyone else find the OP's username amusing considering the topic? :p

25. lpshean macrumors regular

lpshean

Well there was a Safeway back where i live but its closed already.

I havent checked out other big retail shops tho.