iBook arrived with scratches.... should I complain?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by paperinacup, Aug 3, 2005.

1. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Well I got my iBook today but Iopened the none damaged package to find a iBook with scratches on the top. I was wondering is this something I should complain about or just suck it up. I am a perfectionist so I was wondering if I could exchange it in a store with no problem?

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If you're a perfectionist, complain!! If you don't you'll find yourself wishing you had every time you see those scratches. You'll notice them more now too.

Call them up right now! :)

Phil

3. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you are right. I am going to go ahead and call about it. I waited a week to have this delivered so I am really hoping I can exchange it in the store. I notice the scratches everytime I look at it.

4. Switzermac macrumors regular

They probably wont exchange it in the store i had the same problem with my charger, they send you a new one and you have 10 days to send the other one back other wise they bill you for it.

5. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

I will be kind of mad if I have to sit here and wait for a new computer especially considering for the next few weeks I won't be in the same town for more than 2 days.

6. Switzermac macrumors regular

I know what you mean it can be very difficult imagine having the computer but not being able to use it because the charger is broken

7. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't hesitate on calling. If my PB would have been delievered with scratches, I would've called immediately!!!

8. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

I wouldn't be very happy about that and would definitely call.

9. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

First thing in the morning I'm calling and complaining.

10. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

HA I'm on the phone with them right now. And they say they only exchange computers under certain circumstances and they want to repair it!!! This is bull! I could have sworn the return policy didn't change overnight.

11. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Was it a refurb, or does that even matter i think they should defintely exchange it!

12. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

If it's a refurb or BTO, I think you're stuck. Otherwise, I don't see how there are scratches. They didn't have to put a bigger HD in it or anything unless it was a BTO, so no one should have touched it.

13. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

It is completly stock. As to why there are scratched on it I have NO idea. I have 2 witnesses that were there when I opened up the box. I love the computer so I'd have no reason to lie about it. The only thing they said they would do for me is repair it. They said a Apple Store won't take it back because of the scratches (which are not my fault)

14. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

If it is new, and the customer service rep is refusing to do anything for you, make sure you elevate this issue to a supervisor and just remain calm on the phone with them (not suggesting you aren't). If that person won't help you, keep taking it up the chain until you get the answer that you want to hear.

I don't see how you could NOT get a new one replaced especially if it's new. If refurb, like the others say, might be a different story.

Jack

on edit, we typed this same time, so ignore my refurb comment :)

15. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I shouldn't drop the issue. I'm going into the store later today.

16. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

no way i'd settle for a repair if this thing was brand new from the factory. Elevate elevate! :)

17. cubist macrumors 68020

How would they repair it anyway? Buff them out with toothpaste or some other kind of polish? This is supposed to have been a NEW computer!

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You probably should have ask to speak with a supervisor. When you go to the store you should ask to speak with the manager. Just be sure to speaker manner of factly, try to be very calm. Being a stock item they may be able to help. That is where having a relationship with a local store can help. Good luck.

19. Lazyhound macrumors regular

20. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

This is another fine example of how Apple just likes to crap on people's face. I have been down this road soooooooo many times. I had a 1.8GHz powermac that locked up every hour. The applecare guy over the phone confirmed it was bad and when I took it into the store (2 days after receiving it stock via apple.com) I was told they could not do anything becuase "if you order something online the physical stores cannot do an exchange or refund of any type". I was so mad so I called Apple again and spoke direclty with a returns agent and FINALLY convinced her to let me return the damn thing on Apple's dime. It took a lot of fighting for a computer that was obviously defective and only 2 days old. This is a sad sad sad example of customer service. Even more sad, this is just one of MANY experiences similar to this I have had over the years. Apple systems are just so damn sexy and OS X is such a great OS that I keep using their products. What can you do I guess...

21. smharmon macrumors member

Got my 12" combo with 60gig BTO today, and it had scratches. I was getting on macrumors to see if others had the same trouble when I saw this thread. The combo drive is also VERY loud. I have it next to my older 14" (933mhz g4) and the difference is huge. However, I am very pleased with the keyboard (the scissor part feels different, and there is a different "click" to the keys and touchpad button.) This thing is also fast, but the 512 is not enough. Activity monitor shows me using 450+ with only a few minor apps open, but this book runs circles around the 14". I am still very frustrated with the scratches. Mine even has a "mark" on the left side screen bezel that I can see RIGHT NOW. And I really don't like it.

22. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Over-reacting?! You buy a brand new computer that is probably the sexiest machine ever made, and it arrives with scratches!!

23. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much! Thats the point I was making. I took it in then they said they didn't want to exchange it since I didn't have my Student ID with me. I am out of town and don't carry every bit of information. After raising a little hell they exchanged it.

24. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Glad to hear that they FINALLY exchanged it. How far did you have to go for that to happen?

25. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

Long story short I took it in explained the problem. They told me there was no way that could've happened and its no reason to exchange it. Then told me they had NO iBooks in stock (i called ahead of time and the said they had plenty). So I raised my voice a tad and he eventually said oh I think we've found one.