iBook AV Out to TV, Please Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by nickyj182, Feb 4, 2003.

1. nickyj182 macrumors regular

nickyj182

Hi,

I'm using a new iBook (dual USB) and I went and bought one of the 30 dollar AV cables from Comp USA. I put in im computer, and ran it into my TV, and I all am getting sound. Any ideas? Please help!

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

After the cable is plugged in, you have to go to System Preferences -> Displays -> Detect Displays to get the iBook to detect the TV. You can also check the "Show displays in menu bar" box, and do future display detecting from the menu bar without having to go to system prefs.

3. nickyj182 thread starter macrumors regular

nickyj182

When I hit the detect button, my screen flashes on my iBook, but it still doesnt go to the TV, i only get sound. Any ideas

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Make sure you have the right AV cable. Different iBook's (dual-USB) have different AV cables. I believe that the 500mhz and most 600mhz models have ones that plug into the minijack. The newer ones have AV cables that plug into the VGA port.

2. Try plugging your iBook through a VCR (with RCA plugs, of course). If it works, then it's your TV. If it doesn't, then it's probably your iBook or the AV cable.

3. Try the AV cable with another iBook. Maybe you can stop by the CompUSA and they can help you test the cable out. Do this will show you if the problem is your iBook or the cable.

5. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Well, from looking at your signature, you have a clamshell iBook, which does indeed use the RCA style connector to your TV, which tells us that

A) The A/V jack on your iBook is not working properly
    B)The cable is bad
    C)Your TV has a bad connector.

Let's hope it's B).

Regards,
    Gus