Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricebag

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
Indiana
Hi all,
I've got an old G3 ibook (500 mhz, dual usb). It's worked well (which means, I've only had the logic board replaced once). However, recently, it's had that problem where if I open the screen too far, the backlight cuts out. It's pretty clearly something along the lines of a pinched wire, and since I'm way out of warrantee and it's not my main computer, I decided to open it up and see what I can do.
Unfortunately, I'm stuck at one step with a screw that refuses to come out and seems to be getting stripped. So I've made my best guess so far as to the wires at fault. I've attached pictures - they appear to be the only wires going into the hinge aside from similar ones on the other side (that appear to be in better shape).
So - are these likely to be the wires at fault? If so - and I don't know if you can tell from the pictures - do you think I can just move them out of the way of whatever was causing the problem? If so, how should I move them? Or will I need to replace them?
Or, if these are probably not the problem, what probably is?

I'm almost tempted to replace the hard drive too, since I'm in here already... although again, that screw gets in the way...
Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Attachments

• DSCF0035.jpg
    DSCF0035.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCF0037.jpg
    DSCF0037.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 158

stoid

macrumors 601
Take a look at pbfixit.com, I've downloaded their PowerBook Hard Drive replacement tutorial for when my new internal drive comes in on Tuesday. Maybe one of their fix-it tutorials will have the information you need.

ricebag

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
Indiana
Thanks, but actually I've been there, and their instructions seem to be designed for specific, generally larger components. The one helpful thing I found there was the description of where the "inverter" cable is in the display replacing guide, since I have heard that that is a good possibility too. I was hoping that someone might be able to tell me, based on previous experience or the photos I posted above, whether the cables pictured are the likely problem or whether I need to find a way to get further into the computer (the main problem being this screw I can't get out).
Alternatively, someone could just tell me whether the inverter is usually the problem in this case.
Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.