ibook backlighting problems

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by icetraxxg5, Aug 28, 2002.

1. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

my backlighting in my ibook doesnt work... I can someone help me?? I am viewing this website with a flash light and can barley see the screen... please help!!

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

ugh... i don't know what to tell you, from what i gather, ibook screens are not easy to service... is it a clamshell or a new one? your best bet is to take it in, i think... don't suppose you're still under warranty?

pnw

3. icetraxxg5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have the new one, its still under warrenty.... If I take it in will I get a new one? I plugged my iBook into my TV so if I do have to take it in I can back up all my files...

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i doubt you'd get a new one... unless the screen is totally gone and they can't just put another one in....

in which case i'm sure they'd back it up for you. but then again, always want to be sure....

if it's still under warranty. send it in!

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

My guess is that it's a loose connection on the backlighting power wires, so a couple of days in the shop and you'll have the same one. Consider yourself lucky to be under warranty, usually these things happen about a week after it runs out... Couple of questions, how long have you had it, and when did the problem start? were you using it, or did it happen between uses?

:)
    pnw

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

jello- love the new 'tar, that's owen wilson, right? he's really cute...

pnw

7. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

can you turn the brightness down all the way, as in off? i haven't had a mac laptop in a long time, but it seems to me you cant...

pnw

9. icetraxxg5 thread starter macrumors 6502

This happened when I put my computer to sleep for a few seconds and then waking it up( I spilled water on the keyboard but I don't think it went near the screen )... I have tried everything to get the backlighting to work again... The brightness control goes up and down but doesn't do anything to the display...

Possibly could this be a software problem? Because after spilling water on it the backlighting didn't turn off... after it was in sleep then woken up the backlighting didn't turn on... I will try reinstalling MacOS X and then changing the brightness in the new version. Lets all pray that it will work :(

10. saint macrumors regular

If you take it in to get repaired, I suggest you don't mention the water-spilling incident.

I doubt it's a software problem. If you try restarting in OS 9 or from a CD, that should tell you. Don't worry about re-installing.

It's possible that water got in and is shorting something. Try leaving it off for a while to dry and it might work again later. I did that to my TV once and it worked again after a few days.

A bit off-topic, but while you have your flashlight handy, did you know that if you shine it through the back of the iBook with the screen dimmed, you get a glowing apple logo on the front of your screen. Looks really cool.

11. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

YES!!!

I have a Tibook, and I can turn the brightness all the way down;)

12. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

try taking off ur keyboard an duse a blowdryer to dry it out, hope that works, poor iBook.... :(

13. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah, run the Apple diagnostic CD or whatever just to check for software or hardware probs. them you'll probably have to take it into Apple to get fixed up...

14. icetraxxg5 thread starter macrumors 6502

The hardware CD thing found no problems but of course it doesn't check the screen... I am going to call apple in a few minutes... (their tech. support is finally open!)

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

hey, ya learn something new every day. anyone know if you can do this with the new iMacs?

pnw