iBook battery life: Do you really get over 2 hours?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by icetraxxg5, Mar 2, 2003.

1. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2002
    Commerce Township
    I would like to hear about how much battery life you guys get. I get about 1/2 hour average with the energy saver settings on hi-performance.
  2. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2002
    i get about 2.5 on my powerbook right now. of course i let the comp switch back and forth between battery and high performance automatically
  3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    I get exactly 4 hours and 45 minutes out of my iBook's battery. My iBook is 500mhz, 256mb RAM, DVD-ROM, no airport card, and it was purchased new in August of 2001. I'm amazed my battery lasts that long.
  4. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    3 1/2 if i'm doing non cpu intensive things...

i've learned 2 things about batteries and improving the life of them

1. when you first get your computer completely drain it right away...keeps the battery life consistant and...

2. don't keep your laptop plugged in constantly...its good to let the battery completely drain every once and awhile
  5. actripxl macrumors regular

Aug 24, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Well not sure of the exact amount, but I've been able to get at least 4 hours worth.
  6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I have an airport card installed an I average 4-41/2 hours on my 12.1 800mhz iBook. CPU is set at the highest performace and I usually run Mail.App, Safari, iChat and one m$ office prog fyi. my iBook has 384m RAM

I've also read that the amount of ram can effect battery life in a laptop because the computer has to write/erase/use swap less so it uses less power.
  7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Pref: Longest battery life
    Computer: iBook 466 (also in profile)
    Listed life: up to 4:40
    Actual: around 4 hours max. on one charge
  8. Gus macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Re: iBook battery life: Do you really get over 2 hours?

Are you sure you mean JUST 1/2 hour? I mean, that is horrible! How old is the machine? I think it's time to get a new battery.

My iBook 800 gets 3:45 with everything maxed out.

9. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    Re: Re: iBook battery life: Do you really get over 2 hours?

800mhz iBook, screen brightness all the way up, dreamweaver running and perhaps safari and iChat as well, with an airport card-3.5 to 5 hours depending on what else i do. it's a decent machine...compared with those dells with 2 hour battery lives.
  10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    of course this is on a TiBook...

but I've gotten as little as 45 mins and as much as nearly 4.5 hours...

it all depends on what u are doing...
  11. celaurie macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2003
    Edinburgh, Scotland.
    I have an iBook 600 Combo (Late 2001). When she was completely new I got about an average of four-and-a-half hours of life out of her. Just over a year later, the battery still takes about about three hours of juice. Not bad for a Mac that's used heavily.

FYI, I have her set to maximum performance at all times.

12. macstudent macrumors 6502

Feb 12, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    ibook 700 w/ 640 mb RAM
    2.5 hrs with max everything. (screen brightness w/dvd)

4.5 hrs with screen dimmed to lowest other than off
    (using dvd or anything else)

Just turn down the brightness and you can save hours!
  13. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2002
    Is it true that 9 out of 10 notebooks that have DVD drives can't even survive a feature length movie??? I knew mine couldnt
  14. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

May 4, 2002
    Go Vegan

Well I have a Key Lime iBook 466mhz DVD FireWire Special Edition. The battery I say lasts around 45 to 60 minutes. The iBook and battery are both 3 years old and are used everyday! I have my iBook either fully charged and sleeping with AC cord plugged in at night. Or I shut it down and unplug the AC. I have just ordered a new iBook battery. When I unplug the AC Cord it says 1 hour and 14 minutes. Although I can actuly see the percent remaining drop. It depends on what you are doing. I have seen a big drop in battery performance since 10.2.4, other people in the Apple Knowledge Base fourms say the same thing. The battery I bought didn't say if it was for the FirewWire iBooks or not but had the same specs as one that was for FireWire. For $120 the battery better last long. I hope I get at least 4 or 5 hours out of it, and I can always hope for 6. Also when I first got my iBook I watched the Matrix all the way home, but on the way my iBook got exremely hot (so did my lap) plus it was only a 45 minute drive home so I dunno how long I can watch a DVD. All I know is that playing DVDs eats up batteries like Pac-Man eats his pellets. Ha...:D
  15. Rajj macrumors 6502a

May 29, 2002
    32° 44' N 117° 10' W
    It depends on what settings you have it on.
    I can watch one and a half DVD on my Tibook!!
  16. timbloom macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2002
    When my ibook 500 was new I got about 5 hours in OS 9, with all performance options set all the way down, and the display set really low. Now, sadly I am down to 2hr 30 minutes. But I really use the thing. I think it is about time for me to get a new battery, but I think I will wait till it gets a little worse, just to justify the price of a new battery.

But anybody that gets less than an hour really needs to get a new battery... If it becomes fully dead, sometimes it will not work at all until you put a good battery in it.. at least it happened like that often on PB G3's.
  17. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    ibook 800 12" screen w/ 384MB and Airport - 3hrs 45 mins with screen up full and max performance. Ripping CDs or (worse) burning them lowers that quite a bit...

BTW...how long does Apple carry stocks of replacement batteries for machines it doesn't sell any more? For example can you get batteries for the old coloured ibooks?
  18. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    How old is your battery? If you're still under warranty, call Apple and they'll send you a new one. I just had mine replaced (under Applecare) and I get about 3.5 to 4 hours (based on the timer).

NOTE - the Apple technician told me that this was not necessary. These LiIon batteries don't need to be conditioned. I know that opinions on this subject vary, so if it works for you, then so be it.

NOTE 2 - DO NOT use a charger/discharger to completly discharge your battery. This will definately kill your LiIon battery. If you must discharge your battery, just let the computer run down until it sleeps.
  19. timbloom macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2002
    Apple may still carry them at a highly overpriced service part. I noticed that Dr. Bott has a list of batteries, presumably on sale through them.

20. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    they carry them, you just cant buy them from apple store or anything. you have to order them as a service part, i would expect you to pay around 100, just a guess though. there will somebody on this thread who will give you an exact ammount im assuming.