ibook battery life

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by appleboy, Mar 23, 2004.

1. appleboy macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2004
    I got a ibook g3 the other day its a new previous generation ibook g3 900 the website says like 6 hours for the battery life but when i put it on powersaving and stuff i get only 4 hours and 3 minutes is thiss normal.
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003

That 6 hours is when the battery is brand brand new. 4 hours isn't bad, just make sure you discharge it and charge it up. I forgot and I only get 1 hours of battery life now out of mine which is 2 years old now, so I plug-in to get work done and use the battery for when its closed during travel.

If you get an airport card, while you have it on, it will use up battery too. So if you have it out and not plugged in, and you aren't connecting to a base station, go ahead and turn it off.
  3. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    4 hours is pretty normal • SAVE old batteries...for a while.

Yes, NORMAL.

Got my G3 iBook700 in July 2002. Charge says - over 4 hours of usage. Ok.
    In January 2004 iBook batter was down to 1 hour. Clearly, I needed a New battery.
    Got a new iBook battery from Apple Store (surprisingly, at a close-out discount) and I
    SAVED the old battery in the box the new one came in and shelved it.
    Very glad I saved the old battery. Why, you ask?

About a week after install, the new battery up and DIED on me. Refused to charge.
    Took new OUT, put new back IN...nothing.
    I spoke soft, kind words to it. Nothing.
    Plugged it into charger, would not recharge. Oh MG. What do I do?

Went to the closet, took out Old battery, plopped Old IN my iBook...
    STARTS right up, no problem...and, it charges too. Ok.

Take OUT Old battery, put IN New battery. Plug in charger. Lights up.
    Now, the new battery works fine, AND it has ever since. Go figure?

Moral: SAVE the Old battery.
    Ya never know when you'll need a little spark out of her again.
  4. zach macrumors 65816

Feb 14, 2003
    Your battery life is not only normal, it's a bit better than normal.

Apple's "battery life" is the battery life of the computer with the screen at half brightness, no peripherals plugged in, and with a brand new battery charged fully.

By the way, don't make the mistake of discharging your battery all the way like the previous post says.

It does reset the battery's processor, which fixed my battery that had died, but you should only do it very rarely, as it also will reduce any Lithium Ion battery's capacity.

Even once a month is too much. I recommend fully discharging the battery every 4 or 5 months, but that's just my personal opinion.