ibook battery malfunction

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by howard, Mar 23, 2003.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i got an ibook 700mhz the battery meter right with full charge if i unplug it says about two hours...and it goes down regularly, but then at about the 1 hour mark my screen goes blank and my computer goes into sleep...it won't go out of sleep until i plug it in and close it and open it back up...and then it immediatly says theres only like 2 mins of battery life left!! anyone know whats up?? my battery used to work fine...got a little over three hours and if i ever got it down to like 5 mins left then it would go into sleep mode. i've been keeping it plugged in a lot in the last month or so. and it just started doing this and now it always does. anyway, i probably didn't do the best job of explaining the problem...but i hope someone can help.

2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

sounds like a dead battery. Call AppleCare and ask for a new battery. Sometimes they do that.

4. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

i tryed the power managment reset thing and it didn't do anything.

dead battery!!! i just got this ibook like 6 months ago. no way the battery is dead. and i didn't get applecare so thats out of the question

5. adamcoop macrumors regular

6. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Apple gives you a one year warranty. You are under warranty. Call Apple.

Dan

7. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Yes your battery (along with thing such as an airport card) are covered for the initial 1 year warranty, and can be extended with the AppleCare warranty. If it is only 6 months old, 1-800-APL-CARE should be able to take care of you.

Edit: I really suggest applecare on laptops, you can still purchase it until your initial warranty ends.

8. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

if they were to replace the battery would i have to send mine in and be without a computer for a few days? i seriously can't be without my computer for even a day. or would they just send me a new battery and ask me to return the old one? i've never worked with applecare before so i don't know how there service works. also is this something that i could go to my applestore to get a new battery? that would be easiest for me but i don't know if they do that sort of thing.

by the way i looked on the apple website at the boards and it looks like there are a lot of problems like this. they all seem to be recent though...i wonder if it is some weird thing with the 10.2.4 update...cause i don't no for sure but i think this has only happened since i got that update. coincidence? or no?