iBook battery problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lewdvig, Oct 8, 2003.

1. macrumors 65816

The battery shows a full charge: 3:30+

Whe I unplug I get about 10-20 minutes run time before the iBook goes to sleep - even when I am using it.

I have 10.2.8 (the new one). This problem is not one that I have noticed before.

Any thoughts?

2. macrumors member

Hi

I upgraded to 10.2.8 on monday, and have been plugged in since. I just unplugged, and noticed the time remaining is going all over the place, from 2:07 - 4:25 - 3:36. A bit strange...

Ciaron.

3. macrumors 68040

jxyama

i've noticed something similar with my 12" PB. right after i unplug off a full charge, i get anywhere between 7:30+ (!) to 3:30+ before setting around 4:30. i think it's the way trickle charged last bits drain - but after a while, it settles on the correct time.

btw, 10.2.8 has been awesome. improved my battery life from 3:00 to 4:30, routinely.

as for the initial post, you have a problem. if it's a consistent problem, do the usual (calibrate your battery and/or zap the pram) and if it's not solved, you must have a defective battery. (how old is it?)

4. macrumors 65816

mrjamin

how do you go about doing that? Lady on apple telephone support talked me through it once but i've since forgotten...

5. macrumors 68040

jxyama

take a look here:

Apple support

and

More Apple support .

first one is more relevant.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks!

7. macrumors newbie

Re: iBook battery problem

I have a similar problem with my iBook after updating to 10.2.8 (the new one...). The battery indicator keeps on telling "Calculating" when I run on battery or when I charge. Percentage is usually 80-95% and the computer goes to sleep without an alert before. Then it can only be waked wit the adaptor (so battery must be down). I recalibrated the battery, it did not help. Could you solve your problem?

Cheers

8. macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Re: iBook battery problem

This has happened to me before. The battery is almost certainly shot. Get it replaced by Apple.

9. macrumors 68020

howard

i had that exact same problem...it would go to sleep at about 80% battery but when i would wake mine it would say the battery is dead...

i went to an apple store and since my ibook was still under warranty i got a free battery replacement...so it turned out ok.