ibook battery question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by vtprinz, Oct 11, 2005.

1. vtprinz macrumors 6502

I've had an 800MHz G3 iBook for about 3 years now, and in the last couple of days the battery life seems to have plummeted. I'm a college student, and I used to be able to pull it through 3 classes before the battery died, but now it's going out after just one (a little over an hour)!! I haven't done anything different, I always have the same programs open (mail, adium, safari, and MS word), and always reduce the screen brightness to just before going black.

Is it possible that the battery is going out on me? I'd rather not have to buy a new battery, but this is kind of annoying.

Anything else that might help? Would reformatting the computer (it's been a little bogged down lately anyway) help?

Thanks a lot,

Mark

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

It does sound like the battery is going out on you. 3 Years is a good amount of time for a laptop battery. It may be time to get a new one, which I think will run you around $129. A warranty won't cover a battery as far as I know as thats considered a wearable item on a laptop.

Reformatting the laptop may help some if the laptop is struggling to do things as it will use more battery, but I doubt it will put a stop to all of your problems. It never hurts to try though. Thats a lot cheaper than buying a new battery.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Download Co****Battery and use it. It won't bring your battery back to life, but it will give you some interesting data about your battery.

Try it, you'll like it.

EDIT - I don't know why the censor did that, but the application is called c o c o n u t Battery.

4. vtprinz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that! Looks the like the maximum capacity is down to only 27% of the original. Hopefully it will last a little while longer. I'm able to plug it in during some classes so it's not dire at the moment (unless it gets to the point where it can't even last through a single class).

5. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

Whatever you do, refrain from overcharging your battery (we do tend to do that often though) as it will deplete your battery life very quickly.

6. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Mine has very suddenly done something very similar. My iBook is about 18 months old, and was holding anywhere between two and three hours depending on how active I was. Now it's down to 40 minutes tops.

Does anyone know Apple's policy on sudden battery deaths within 18 months? I have Applecare.

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I don't know if it's official policy, but Applecare has replaced batteries before. My iBook's original battery couldn't hold a charge for more than 30 minutes at around the 18 month mark. I called the Applecare phone number and they ran me through a few tests then told me they'd send me a new battery and a return label for me to send the old one back.

Others on this forum have also gotten replacement batteries.

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yes but it's usually due to a fault of the battery that is immediately noticeable (such as in your stated circumstance; but not due to normal wear and tear) and probably always w/in warranty. I doubt that the OP's iBook G3 is still under warranty.

9. vtprinz thread starter macrumors 6502

No, not under warranty. So, with that in mind, where do you guys recommend to buy a replacement battery? I'd rather not spend $120 if possible.

10. jtown macrumors 6502

You could try ebay but make sure you're not getting someone else's dead battery before you bid.