iBook Battery Woes :(

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Greenturtle, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Greenturtle, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

macrumors member

Nov 2, 2008
    Hi guys, I recently acquired a beautiful iBook G3 (900mhz, 640mb RAM, 40gb HDD + Airport) which I was surprised to see had a really good battery life for such an old Machine.

Battery indicator was reporting about 5-6 hours remaining on use so it all seemed pretty good as far as the machine was concerned. On using it intensively all day I got the battery down to 50% a minute later the machine went into an unwake-able sleep mode.

The battery indicator on the base indicated a single flashing light which I found most confusing as it was half way down the LEDs before.

So I plugged it back into a charger, the machine turned on and it indicated 0% charge. I let it jump it's way back up to 100% in a rather sporadic manner of figure jumping. I figured it must be something to do with the battery calibration? So I did the open firmware reset-nvram reset-all and I took the battery out and hit the power button for 50 seconds.

I found after that the start up time was faster but the battery after trying to run it down to 0% turned off at 50% again with the same scenario as last time.

Has anyone got any ideas other than 'buy a new battery'? It is something I'm willing to do but I'd like to exhaust all my options first. I also installed coconutbattery to reveal some pretty bizarre figures.

Thanks guys

Attached Files:

2. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 2, 2008
    No one's needed to calibrate an iBook battery before then?
  3. macrumors 65816

May 5, 2007
    When the computer goes to sleep dut to low battery, is that when you're plugging it in again?

I would wait until the battery drains completely. Let it go to sleep, then leave it overnight at least so that it has a chance to fully discharge.