iBook Boot/Locking up problems. PLEASE help.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Kandews, Aug 9, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2007
    I have an iBook G4 (1.25g memory and 1ghz processor) running Tiger. I have never had any problems with my iBook in the past and now it seems the second my warranty expires i do.

I was using it earlier today and the entire thing just locked up for the first time ever and little lines started appearing on the screen. I turned it off and rebooted it and it froze on the Grey screen, i repeated and it keeps doing the same things. It actually loaded a few times and then promptly froze.

I tried booting from the CD and it freezes right on the screen to select your language(if it gets that far). I went into applejack/single user (which runs fine) and repaired disk/repaired permissions/cleaned up system files/ and cleaned up virtual memory. I also used the fsck -y check disk which I'm assuming is the same as typing in 'applejack' and then selecting 1 (But I thought I would use it anyway). The first time i ran fsck it said it changed a system file. I then ran it again and it said that the HD seemed okay. Assuming that fixed the problem i restarted my computer and it froze...again.

Any ideas? Or is there a way to reformat from single user? There is nothing I am worried about losing I just need my computer back.
  2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Boot from the OSX discs and use Disk Utility to reformat the drive there, then try the reinstall. I'm not guarantying it'll work though. :eek: