Ibook - buy now or suffer with rosetta

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jeffgtr, Mar 9, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

May 9, 2005
    I really want / need a laptop soon. The apps I will use most are Photoshop, but seldom do I work with hi rez images, it's all web stuff. Dreamweaver 8, and Flash 8. Very little video, and again if I do do video it will be for the web. There is a chance I may do some light recording with cubase, but never more than 2-4 channels in, then it would be transferred back to my dual g5 for editing and overdubs. I really want something small and protable (12").

I don't want to have to replace all of my main apps soon. I'm really concerned just how bad PS, Dreamweaver and Flash will be under Rosetta. My thought is a G4 just might work for me for a couple of years. But on the other hand if my main apps perform ok under Rosetta I might wait for the Intel ibook..I cannot at the moment afford a mac book pro, just to much money. I want to keep the cost around 1200.

I'd like to hear some advice from experienced users. Keep in mind I will probably never try to use Imovie or Final Cut Pro for that matter on the laptop
  2. macrumors regular

Apr 13, 2005
    Vancouver BC
    wait or buy

Thats a tough call. Im using a macbook, and I can say that Rosetta is quite seamless, although its hard to say if performance would suffer on an iBook. BUT what I do see, is that you plan on having this computer for a couple of years, hence, if you buy a G4, and the universal apps you need come out within 2-6 months... then you'll have wished you waited. I can honestly say, if it was my choice? wait.