iBook cables

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nichos, Jan 1, 2005.

1. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

Hi all - I just bought a new iBook 12" and love it. I know there have been many threads about using the iBook with TV out, and I've seen the cable that plugs into the Video Port on the side of my ibook, but I saw an ibook AV cable (see attatched). On one end it has the standard Left, Right, and Video, but the other end has a jack that looks like the headphone jack on my iBook. This cable has 3 or 4bands on the headphone side of it. Does my ibook have video out coming out of that jack? I would like to carry just this cable, although I would be losing Svideo, this is an all in one solution. Thanks guys!!!
    :D

Attached Files:

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Does that explain it? :)

The new iBooks have a mini VGA port, you will need one mini VGA adapter to S-Video and a Y-Audio adapter for the audio feed which plugs into the headphone jack. :)

You need:

Y adapter for Audio

mini VGA adapter to S-Video

Have fun. :)

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

No that was only for G3 Clamshell iBooks. It will not work in yours.

4. nichos thread starter macrumors 6502

nichos

Thanks for the quick replies everyone - Like I said, I'm new to mac, and appreciate all the great support from the community. Too bad that cable won't work with my computer, it would be nice to have an all-in-one cable-though I guess this offers a higher quality picture. Thanks again everyone!
    -Nick

5. haiggy macrumors 65816

I do this with my iBook.

Just get the Apple Video Adapter thing (I believe it is called) and it will plug into your TV through S-Video or RCA.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Actually, all white iBooks have the miniVGA plug, not just the new ones.

This is not true. The AV cable will work with early white iBooks.

Basically, the 1st run of white iBooks used this cable. They work on all 500mhz iBooks and some 600mhz ones. They are a little glitchy, which is probably why Apple replaced them.

You iBook can use it if it have the AV port. Of course, the AV port looks just like the standard headphone jack. So the best way to tell is to see if you have a reset button above the headphone jack. If you do, then the AV cable is for you.

I've since gone back to read the original message. His iBook is new, so this would definately not work for him.

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Taken that this users has the most recent model iBook, there was really no reason to mention past iBooks, since I know the revision before the most recent also had it. I also know that the early iBook white models used that thus the quote in my post. :)

Anyhow, who cares the question was answered. :)

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Yeah, I realized that he had a new iBook after I had typed in all of that good stuff. I didn't feel like deleting it, so I just added that last line.

It's all good.

9. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

This brings up a point. I think the first iBooks- under 466Mhz were called the clamshell ibooks but aren't all laptops clamshell. I understand it though because the early ones look sorta like clams but clamshell refers usually universally to something that opens like a laptop, cell phone, etc.

(Yes i have been crowned by edesignuk "Master of the Obvious")

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

If you are referring to the coloured G3 iBooks not sure, I have heard various other names for them.

Yes, Indeed all notebook have a clamshell design there is also a "clamshell mode" and the PowerBook support it from Apple direct while there is a hack for the iBooks for this I would suggest take caution as clamshell tends to overheat the notebook if not attended.

ftaok, no hard feeling. :)