ibook cd rom making funny noises?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hushreality, Oct 26, 2004.

1. hushreality macrumors newbie

Hey I just got my new ibook, I've never had an ibook before and it's making a strange garbled clicky sound when I insert a cd. Normal or do you think there's something wrong? Once the disk is in - it sounds fine, but for the first 3-4 seconds it's almost like the disk is going to explode.

2. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

It could just be the normal sound made by a slot loading drive when it sucks in a disc. If everything sounds normal once the disc has been inserted and mounted, then what you are hearing is probably normal. If you have never heard a slot loading drive, the sound can be a bit disturbing at first.

If you describe the sounds you hear in more detail, maybe I can tell more conclusively if it is normal.

3. hushreality thread starter macrumors newbie

It sounds like a "crunch crunch - crunch", and then it starts spinning and sounding normal. Also, I have to insert the disk all the way in - I thought it would suck in after about 1/2 or 3/4. Thanks for your help in advance!

4. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Mine makes the same noise. Not sure if it supposed to, but my iBook still reads the information. It's just loud.

lasuther