iBook / Cell Phone

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by coolocity, Jul 2, 2002.

1. coolocity macrumors regular

Hello, I'm looking to purchase an iBook, I also have an Ericsson T60d Cell Phone. Anyone know if there is any way to use my cell phone as my connecting device? What would I have to buy?

- John

2. swahilibill macrumors 6502

when you say connecting device, I assume you mean Bluetooth, am I wrong? in that case the bluetooth adapter by D-Link would be probably the best idea. Unfortunatley the adapter is not available right now, but thats probably the best idea for your needs if you mean bluetooth.

" And my name is not Teabag, its teabg, Get It Right!"

iPod 5GB

3. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not too sure what bluetooth is, but basiclly I'm looking for something that would attach to my phone, and allow it to plug into the iBook in one way or another - maybe the modem plug. Just so that I could connect while i'm on the go, without wireless access.

4. swahilibill macrumors 6502

yeah,thats bluetooth, but the trick is along with the adapter, you need a bluetooth enabled phone, and yes, with bluetooth, you can connect to the internet wirelessly anywhere within I think 20 FT.

iPod 5 GB

5. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. but..

I don't need anything wireless. I know I've seen these kind of adapters somewhere before. You just plug something into the end of your phone, which plugs into where your phone line would, and bingo - works just like a lan-line. Can't seem to find anything like it anymore, at least not for an ericsson phone.

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Depends on your cell phone company... Verizon will be (or is) offering the ability to use your cell phone to connect your laptop to the internet. The main drawback with that is that they provide the ISP (so you basically have two if you use someone else). Personally, I don't need that level of connection. If I want to be online from home, I use my airport enabled TiBook. If I am at work, I can go through the network here, or use one of the modem drops in my office. If I am someplace else, there are connecting options there too (sister's house, cousin's places and the like).

7. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

I wish I was that lucky to have connections everywhere... but I don't. My Ericsson T60d is data enabled, but all I can find is something that connects it to a serial port, which I'm pretty sure iBooks don't have. I've heard of an adapter for my phone (about $200 I think) that would make it bluetooth enabled, but I'm definately not looking to spend that much.

8. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

You can get a (Keyspan) serial to usb adapter from Compusa for about $40 USD, this may solve your problem;)

9. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

you could just wait until Apple release their bluetooth adapter, but make sure your phone has bluetooth.

good luck!

10. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I too have the T60d and an iBook. I don't really have any need to do what you're talking about, but I asked the people at Cingular when I got the phone (just to know for future reference). They said I'd need the serial/USB adapter that someone already mentioned. The serial cable came with my phone - check and see if you already have it. Also, you have to subscribe to wireless internet (which for me is $4 a month, but again, I don't know specifics because I don't use it).

The people at Cingular seemed positive about it, but I also got the distinct impression that they wouldn't know the difference between an Apple and a Dell if their lives depended on it. (Other than possible "One's white and one's black"). I would start by calling up your service provider and seeing what they have to say.

11. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, thanks a lot. I'm taking a trip down to my friendly neighborhood cingular store so I can get them in person - I have a feeling the people on the phone aern't always telling the whole truth. Too bad I have to pay for the internet on top of the monthly $30 I pay for the phone, it's not like I don't have my own ISP or anything. Well, whatever floats their boat I suppose. Thanks for the help - and does anyone know when apple is going to release bluetooth? Grr, that would solve (almost) everything.

- John

12. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Don't count on it. People come in to my job every day looking for the same problem solver, and I've never heard of it working. A few phones do support native usb connections, but that means that you would have to get a new phone.

-Pete

13. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

Just sent out an e-mail to cingular. They say it's possible as long as you use their service ($4 / month) on their website - as long as you get the phone > USB connector that they also sell, and install their software on your laptop. All they say they have is PC software, but VPC5 should allow me to use it, right?

14. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I wonder if you could hook up the cell phone to your modem port. This would seem to be a much easier (and cheaper) way to connect to your current ISP.

Anyways, the Ericsson T60d is Bluetooth enabled right out of the box (I think).

15. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

The ability to hook it directrly to my modem port would be great. I know it can be done but I can't seem to find anything to do with it.

I'm going to check on the bluetooth part.. hope so.

16. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

I don't know about having to use their ISP. I guess its possible they could limit you to that, but why? IF you can hook up the phone, as it used to be, to the iBook, then Most ISPs usually have somesort of wireless enabled dialup. I know when I was in Paris a coupe of years asgo, and trying to make my AOL work (I only keep it around for crap like their incredibly vast dialup base) and it looked like there were more wireless enabled dialups than analog lines:D

17. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone know of stores that sell cell (by the sea shore, yadda yadda) accesories like that. especially for ericsson phones? Thanks a lot -

- John

18. Apple][Forever macrumors regular

Unfortunately, this is unlikely as modem ports are designed for analog signals going at about 45VAC... i suppose that it would be possible to transform the 1V signal from the phone's hands-free connection to the correct levels but bandwidth would be so limited that i doubt you'd be able to even connect.

Heck, sometimes I have a hard time making out people when I'm walking around with my phone! :)

19. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Try: www.teleadaptusa.com

They are big into cell phone accessaries, especially connectors for data transfer. Unfortunatly, I have yet to find one that works under OS X. It just doesn't reconginize the phone as a modem. Works beautifully, slowly but beautifully, with my Sprint TP2100 phone.

20. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot, I'll have to check it out.