iBook Changes=Major Changes

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cmaracz88, Oct 22, 2003.

1. cmaracz88 macrumors member

I really want one of those new iBooks. This is the big revision we've been waiting for. USB 2.0, slot loading combo drive, G4 proccessor, DDR Ram, 128 MB more Ram, and Airport Extreme all at the same price (in Canada at least). It's like a brand new computer. I want it so bad it's not even funny even though I have an iBook from the last revision. Perhaps on Christmas I'll get an upgrade to that model.

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: iBook Changes=Major Changes

this is definitely a great upgrade to the iBooks this time around. it's most certainly they year of the laptop for apple, though the same is true of the industry, and it's not so much this year as a growing trend that will continue in years to come.

3. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I just bought an iBook in August, the same model as you have, cmaracz88. I'm kind of pissed that they updated them, especially after I just bought one :mad:

Here's my question: I haven't looked really closely, but what advantages do the PowerBooks have over iBooks now? The fastest iBook is a 1Ghz G4, isn't the 12" AliBook the same? What's different (re: better) in the AliBook?

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

man, updates are a fact of life. don't be mad.

also, there is a lot better about the 12 inch powerbook over the 14 inch iBook. for instance, a better graphics card, the fact that it's made out of aluminum, the fact that it has 512k L2 cache, and that it's 12 inches rather than 14. there's only a 100$ price difference, anyway. btw, it's AlBook or AluBook.

5. evil macrumors 6502

i have a rev A powerbook that i bought before they dropped the price. 650 bucks CDN! then went and did updates.

and..well..all i can say is oh well.
    ive had it for 6 months now and i have used it a hell of a lot so i feel like i got my moneys worth.
    oh yeah...my aluminum casing right near the power hole thing bent somehow. i havent done anythign crazywith it either.

6. mms macrumors 6502a

12 inch PB you also have the choice of SuperDrive while you can only get the Combo drive on the iBook.

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

the superdrive, though, is $300 more than the 14" 1 GHz iBook. you pay $200 to go from combo -> superdrive.

8. alset macrumors 65816

alset

And to think, I didn't figure on replacing my iBook for a long time.... Now I have gear lust!

Dan

9. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

For me the drive is necessity. My revB iTang has too many problems. I’ve burnt through a few keyboards, 1 cd drive, and a screen (all under Apple Care), and I love it. Considering the distance it’s traveled and the number of hours its worked, it has more than met my expectations. The fact that I can't run OSX on it and the fact it has some board issues that it never had before cause me to need another machine. I like the durability and cost of the iBook, but I need the features of the 12"PB.

Now I just need cash. I hope there will be a major revision before the changes before my iTang dies, if I am forced to I will settle with what ever I can afford- when I can aford it.

The debate as to where and when it will happen dosn't do much for me.

10. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I'm not so much angry as I am pissed that I didn't see it coming beforehand.

I have a 14" iBook that I almost never use though, so if the new G4 iBook really appeals to me I can always sell it. And if the new iBooks make more money for them, then go Apple. :)

(I wonder if the iBooks will have heat problems like the 12" AluBook.)

11. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

I heard the "G4" iBook doesnt include an AltiVec unit. Check out Slashdot.org for more info.

Sounds like Apple is pulling a fast one....

12. panphage macrumors 6502

It's a G4, it's Altivec, it's Moto. Nuff said.

13. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

How do you, nuff said, thats the stupidiest excuse for acceptance I have heard in a long time. Disputes my claim with facts,, not words out of you ass

14. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Some of these have been mentioned already in the posts

12" PB is 1 Ghz
    12" is ibook is 800 mhz 14" is 1 Ghz

12 PB has a better L2 Cache if i'm not mistaken

video card on 12 PB supports dual display not just mirroring like on the iBooks.

1 GIG ram in 12 PB in revision B vs 640 in the new ibooks

No superdrive on 12 iBook

Gigabit Eathernet on 12 PB? 10/100 on ibooks

Obviosly construction of the two units Alum vs so polyplastic- lol

what am i missing guys?

15. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

If you check the specs on all "G4" systems its shows PowerPC G4 with velocity engine, but nowhere does the iBook specs show Altivec

16. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Tech Specs for Powerbooks
    Processor and Memory

1GHz PowerPC G4 processor with Velocity Engine, 512K SRAM on-chip L2 cache, 133MHz system bus (12-inch models)

Technical Specifications for iBooks
    Processor and memory

800MHz, 933MHz or 1GHz PowerPC G4 processor with 256K on-chip level 2 cache running at full processor speed

Notice Velocity Engine in one and not the other...

ryme4reson has point

17. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

18. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I have a G3 900mhz iBook, and have only had it for about 2 months... I am wondering if Apple could be pursuaded to switch me for a G4 800mhz or if there's anyway i can lift the lid and upgrade?

Hob

19. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

if this thing doesnt have a velocity engine, though, it basically won't be a G4. i think it may just be an inconsistency between the team that makes the PB page and the one that makes the iBook page. the PPC 750GX/FX are both G3s, as near as i can tell. ultimately, we have to wait till an iBook owner checks his iBook.

20. reflex macrumors 6502a

I assume that there's no real need to mention the velocity engine now that all Apple computers (except the education ones) have it.

21. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

I have no idea where this ridiculous rumor about the ibook g4 not having altivec came from.

Here are some FACTS:

All G4's have 'altivec' or 'velocity engine' if they didn't it would be a G3.

According to XBench results, the new G4 ibook uses the 7455 processor, the same used in the rev a 12" powerbooks.

'nuff said.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't say that. ;)

Please don't give the...

"Individuals holding the used brain donor cards"

...any ideas.

23. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

24. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

go here.