iBook .. changing the HD

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by 5300cs, Jan 15, 2003.

1. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Hello folks,

I have a 500mhz white iBook and I want to swap out the original HD; 10gigs is not enough.

1.) I've seen sights (in Japanese, which I can read OK) on how to take apart the 5300cs and the G4 550 PB, but nothing so far (in either language) on the iBook. Does anyone have a link to -preferably- a step-by-step HOWTO on removing and changing the HD?
    --I heard it was a nightmare and a 1/2 to open the clam-shell iBooks, with something in the neighborhood of 40 screws to take out, so I'm understandably paranoid about this--

2.) Can I use any notebook type HD in the iBook or do I have to go through Apple? I'd like a 40, 60 or 80 gig, but I have a feeling that if I go through Apple it'll cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks, anyone, in advance!

5300cs

2. OSeXy! macrumors regular

3. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Yes, it is a nightmare and involves more than just removing screws, but it can be done if you are careful. Just plan on taking your time, and have a sheet laid out with places to set all of the screws, and have that sheet labelled as you go with what screws are in what spot.

You can use any laptop hard drive in any iBook. You might check out the website for MCE for more info. http://store.powerbook1.com/ibhardrivup.html They used to have a PDF of instructions for this swap. If not, try www.xlr8yourmac.com .

Good luck!

Regards,
    Gus