iBook charging woes

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by munckee, Feb 1, 2006.

1. munckee macrumors 65816

My iBook doesn't seem to want to charge. When I plug in the power cord, the battery symbol on the computer blinks between the "plugged in" symbol and the "using battery" symbol. Doesn't seem to want to charge.

The cord indicator is lit orange, although its a brighter orange than when the battery is taking a charge.

Any help?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is the adaptor the same one that came with the iBook originally? Is the little appendage bent?

3. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

To the best of my knowledge its original (I bought the computer used). Its definitely an apple adapter. The little "appendage" looks fine to me.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, the damn battery died before I could get through the reset process. I'm going to see if I can borrow a battery from IT today to get it moving again. Thanks for the help MJ.

Edit: now that I'm at work, I see that I don't have to get a new battery for it (I couldn't read the process because...no battery). Can someone explain this:

"Warning: Resetting the Power Manager on any PowerBook or iBook will permanently remove a RAM disk, if present, and all of its contents."

What exactly do I need to back up or worry about before I reset the PMU?

6. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

This doesn't appear to have worked. I reset the PMU and tried to start it up. It lit up long enough to indicate that the date was wrong (so I guess the PMU reset occurred), but then it powered down to sleep, probably due to low battery. I'm going to leave it plugged in for a while to see if it charges, but the indicator light on the power adaptor is lit brightly (it usually appears brighter when its plugged in, but the battery isn't charging) so I'm afraid it may not be charging still.

Anyone else have a thought?

7. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I plugged my ibook into another adaptor and it appeared to be charging fine. So maybe my power adaptor went out? I'll have to try to get to the apple stoer :rolleyes: