iBook Clamshell 466MHz Special Edition

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kingcrowing, May 8, 2005.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I'm looking at buying a Graphite 466MHz iBook for $375, What i want it to do is play DVDs, chat, and surf the web, The ont thing holding me back is the lower resolution screen, 800x600, will i be able to play a movie not full screen and be able to have room for an iChat window? a little overlap is fine, i just have never really worked with much less than a 14" 1024x768.

My other concern is heat and noise, do these run hot? because i plan on using it on my lap quite often, and noise is just annoying. It has a 10GB HD, so im assuming its just the original stock one if that makes any difference. My other possibility for a new laptop is a Pismo, so how do these compare in heat/noise to them?

thanks a lot!

2. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

My wife has an Indigo 366 MHz iBook (identical to the SE except for clock speed and lack of DVD player) and my father has a Lombard (the model just before the Pismo). They both run very cool. I don't think they're noisy either.

In general, I have no idea if that's a fair price-- sounds high to me-- but the Pismo is a far nicer computer than the iBook unless you are attached to its looks. Faster system bus, larger higher-res screen ... if the price/condition of the two is the same, go for the Pismo.

Buying a used laptop I'd be concerned with battery condition, or be prepared to just buy a new battery.

3. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Well, i just bought a 466MHz iBook For $300, and thats a lot less than any Pismo i've seen on eBay or on a forum, and i didn't want any pre-pismo powerbooks because of the lack of firewire and airport, i dont like having to use a PCMIA card when i could have it built in

EDIT: i bought this on eBay, and the seller said it only had a CD player, but it's a 466MHz iBook, and i've heard that they all had DVD players, i've bought it at this point so i'm going to find out soon enough, but has anyone ever heard of a SE 2nd edition with only a CD drive? and i know i can upgrade it after if i need to

4. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

There are no 466 MHz iBooks with only a CD-ROM drive, unless the original drive hs been broken/replaced. There were graphite 366 MHz iBooks (first generation), but they had neither DVD nor FireWire. But if yours is graphite at 466, it should have a DVD-ROM drive.

Maybe give us the link ...

5. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

6. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

It has a FireWire port, so it's an SE. The 366's only had USB.

7. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Ok, good luck with it. It will run OS X, but slowly, especially with only 192 MB RAM.

The handle is great.

8. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

http://lowendmac.com/pb2/ibook-guide.html
    that says the 366MHz ones had Firewire too, but if you read more about it (click the name) it says that the 366MHz came in Indigo and Keylime, and the 466MHz came in Graphite and Keylime, so i'm pretty positive it's a 466MHz, if it wasn't that would be bad and he would get in trouble with eBay, but he just said nothing about a DVD drive, so im not sure if he didn't know it had a DVD drive, or if it only does CDs

EDIT: It will handle OS X fine for my needs, my first Mac was a 300MHz B&W w/ 128MB RAM running Panther and i could deal with it... but i'm planning on getting a 512MB Dimm so i'll have 576MB RAM in it, that should be pretty good

9. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

The 366 MHz in Indigo and Key Lime do have FireWire, but no DVD. The Graphite 366 MHz SE does not have FireWire or DVD. Each of the two generations of clamshell iBooks had the top model ("SE") in Graphite, while the second gen. also let you get the SE in Key Lime.

See Apple-History.com, around 1999-2000.

As for the comparison to your B&W G3, it had a 100 MHz bus to the iBooks 66 MHz one; you will probably notice a difference independent of processor speed, to some extent.