Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switcher22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2003
Winnipeg, MB
I've had an iBook G4 for about 6 months now and love it, but I was just wondering what anyone would suggest for cleaning the display and the palm rest.

I'm not too worried about the display, its just a bit dusty and I wanted to get advice before doing something that might damage the LCD.

On the other hand the palm rest is a bit more of a problem - I tried cleaning it today with a damp cloth and some mild soap, but that didn't really do anything to take care of the fairly visible smudge marks to the left and right of the touch pad where my hands rest. Are there any tried and true techniques/products out there I should try?

Thanks.

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
i've always just squirted a little windex on a tissue and cleaned LCD's that way
as for the palm rest spot test a degreaser on like the bottom of the ibook to make sure it won't run anything and then do it on the palm rest

switcher22 said:
I've had an iBook G4 for about 6 months now and love it, but I was just wondering what anyone would suggest for cleaning the display and the palm rest.

I'm not too worried about the display, its just a bit dusty and I wanted to get advice before doing something that might damage the LCD.

On the other hand the palm rest is a bit more of a problem - I tried cleaning it today with a damp cloth and some mild soap, but that didn't really do anything to take care of the fairly visible smudge marks to the left and right of the touch pad where my hands rest. Are there any tried and true techniques/products out there I should try?

Thanks.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Doesn't Windex have ammonia? There is a coating on monitors that ammonia will eat right through. The tissue might be a bit abrasive as well.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Horrortaxi said:
Doesn't Windex have ammonia? There is a coating on monitors that ammonia will eat right through. The tissue might be a bit abrasive as well.

Yeah, NEVER use anything like Windex on a coated screen. And also never use anything that could be abrasive as a tissue. Even regular toilet paper, etc. is bad. Always try to use something non-abrasive like cotton, etc.

Other than that I haven't found anything yet that takes care of a little pen accident on the palm rest. It's not bad, but this iBook seems to soak up dirt and stuff like a sponge. I can get to disappear almost completely. Almost. If anyone has a good idea, tell me.

kaylee

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2004
Australia
you can buy special wipes to clean lcd screens with (similar to baby wipes, but dont try to use baby wipes in their place). you can buy them from some office supplies stores, not sure where else.

Nny

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
a little off topic: but while cleaning up also make sure to get a can of compressed air and remove the keyboard and give it a light dusting underneath. a lot of dust and hairs get trapped in there.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Nny said:
a little off topic: but while cleaning up also make sure to get a can of compressed air and remove the keyboard and give it a light dusting underneath. a lot of dust and hairs get trapped in there.

hairs?

oof.

stephen

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2004
Hi switcher22,

I don't know if you've already tried this, but an eraser actually works. Use the ones by Staedler or Rotring. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.