ibook clicking noise

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Hinsight4, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Hinsight4 macrumors newbie

I was using my ibook earlier and it started making this clicking noise to the left side of the keyboard. It's a steady metronomic beat that just clicks..I have no idea if it's hard drive related or not. Anyway, any thoughts as to the problem would be appreciated. It's the new ibook, I've only had it about 2 weeks. Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

At worst it's a dying hard drive in which case you should get everything backed up and talk to Apple about a replacement or a fix. Is it constant or intermittent?

3. Hinsight4 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a constant clicking. After the desktop appears after starting teh computer, it starts and doesn't stop, awakened from sleep or just restarting, the clicking starts immediantly. Only if I shut down teh computer and leave it off for a bit and then turn it back on does it stop, but only for that minute during booting. Thanks for the help.

4. mpw Guest

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

6. Hinsight4 thread starter macrumors newbie

There isn't an apple store within 3 hours of my place, however, I do know that CompUSA sells macs. Does anyone know if I take it there, will it be covered under my warranty? I start classes wed and I don't need to be sending my precious baby off (Fedex isn't good enough!!) Thanks.

7. gregorydanger macrumors member

Highly doubtable, though I'm not 100% sure. But again, doubtable.

I agree with everyone else. Sounds like your HD is about to go. Best to back up anything important and call AppleCare.

8. Hinsight4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've waited two days, and no more clicking sound (crossing my fingers). I don't see the problem just dissappearing, but I'm just gonna have to keep everything backed up and just wait till it dies. I'm also one of the cheapies who didn't purchase applecare...but I still have a year, don't I? Thanks for your comments.

9. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Yes you have 1 year to get applecare. Also about Compusa, I don't know if the policy has changed, I dont see why it would have though, when I worked there my apple tech could do all applicable warranty work from apple.

10. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

Boot from your hardware test CD and run everything. Even if it's stopped making the noises I'd still be paranoid about the imminent hard-drive failure.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Definitely get you iBook checked. I would highly recommend that you purchase AppleCare. Personally I always purchase AppleCare. Many times it has paid for itself, also gives peace of mind.

12. CTSxViper macrumors regular

I don't know which hard drives Apple uses, but some Hitachi H/D's had this problem, and there was a bios flash for the H/D that corrected this on PC laptops. You may want to check the model of the H/D and go to the manufacturers website and see if there is any know issue or fix..