Ibook color schemes?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by lazymuoio, Jul 7, 2004.

1. lazymuoio macrumors member

Why do you suppose apple got rid of the ability for people to choose color of there ibook after they got rid of the clamshell model, that was a reat option? and will they bring it back?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'd guess it's because it's too hard to predict how many will want each color, thus leading to extra stock and lots of leftovers. The mini is a counter-example, but they can sell any color they want of it right now due to its scarcity, and the minis are a lot smaller to stock 5 of than an iBook is.

3. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

And the fact that the mini is $250 rather than $1,000. They won't sweat the surplus as much. I highly doubt that we will see differnet color computers anytime soon from Apple.

4. lazymuoio thread starter macrumors member

wouldnt they attact ore customers if they use the changeable color because people would like the fact that they can change the color of the ibook? and wouldnt this make up for the stocking fees?

5. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

they could just manufacture them with clear plastic bodies like they used to (pre ibookG4) with colored inserts that could be customer customizeable

6. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

maybe because the clamshells looked like crap? :D

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You couldn't change the colour of a clamshell once you'd bought it. It was built in at the factory.

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    tru that damn toilet seats

9. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

i dont think that a company with such impecably high standards of product design will make colour inserts for a laptop?! it just doesnt seem like something that they would do. the colours were ok, and a good design in themselves but they were pretty big, i dont think that they would go back down that route now. they've hit the jackpot in terms of design now, ibooks and powerbooks have a timeless classy design style that is utterly distinct and seperate from the rest of the competition. the ibook is kinda fun and stuff but it also looks sleek and stylish, as does the powerbook.

apple and jonathan ive get serious credit for their designs colours or not! :p

10. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I wish they would make the ibooks in the same colors and material as the mini. That would be sweet! But, I bet it would be a nightmare to try and and stock inventory.

11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Do you now, or have you ever, owned one? :rolleyes:
    I just got one off an auction and I think it's a really cool machine.

To address your question though, I think it's because Apple changed its design direction to be more conservative, which is why we only see the iPod Mini in different colors.