iBook Combo Drive Misbehaving

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cleo, Feb 16, 2003.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

The combo drive in my iBook (almost a year old) has started misbehaving when I try to import CD's into iTunes. It'll import the first 4 or 5 songs just fine, but starts making a louder and louder whirring. Then it kicks into this cycle where it just spins up and then stops spinning over and over without importing anything. Eventually iTunes will crash, occasionally bringing my whole system down with it. This started a few weeks ago on every few discs, but now it happens every single time. Burning goes off without a hitch, as does watching DVD's and playing CD's. I'm going to call Apple tomorrow, but in the meantime does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be? (I've already tried all the standard software troubleshooters - repair permissions, etc). Thanks!

2. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Sounds like it's an iTunes problem. Beyond that, I don't think I can help much.

3. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Ah, I forgot to mention - copying discs via Toast fails, also.

If it is an iTunes problem, though, would downloading and installing a new copy help?

4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I had a similar problem a few months ago with the DVD drive on my iBook. It would import several of the songs, then lockup and crash iTunes. A simple re-install of iTunes and a repair of permissions fixed my problem.

5. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Excellent! Downloading iTunes right this very minute. :)

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i doubt you need to reinstall iTunes. you could delete the property list for itunes from your preferences lib, but i can almost guarantee you that your problem is permissions. actual problems with the applications themselves are incredibly rare. it's usually bad preference files. but honestly, all you probably need to do is repair permissions and (optionally) reboot.

7. Bear macrumors G3

If toast is also failing it could be a mechanical problem with the drive as well. Keep that in mind. Not every problem is software (or permissions) some of them are actually hardware.

One of the factors influencing my decision to buy Applecare was the possibility of optical drive failures.

8. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

I think Bear's called it. I've reinstalled iTunes, deleted the prefs, fixed permissions, you name it, and the problem isn't getting any better. I just ejected the CD I've been trying to import and it's REALLY hot - could the drive be overheating? At any rate, I'm very happy now that I bought AppleCare. I'll give them a call tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

9. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I had the same problem with a Pismo that I had, and it was most definitely the drive. I mean it sounded and acted EXACTLY like what you are suggesting here. If it's under warranty, get thee to an Applr tech. :)

Regards,
    Gus