ibook combo drive sounds?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BFedrec, Jun 3, 2004.

1. BFedrec macrumors newbie

Well, I bit the bullet and bought my first mac today. Been lusting after them for about a year now and finally hit the right deal at the right time. I picked up a 12" G4/800 ibook openbox from Micro-Center for $819 before the $100 rebate... so cheaper than I could have gotten an apple refurb :D

So here's my question. The combo drive seems to have an odd sound when you start up or put in a CD. It almost sounds like a drive that's been opened with a CD in it and you put your finger on the CD to stop it from spinning... a sort of clunk & speed-up/slow-down sound. It may be perfectly normal... but it's not a sound I recognize, so I figured I'd ask those more experienced.

Thanks in advance for the help.

CharlesP

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

The CD ROM drive in my iBook (tray loading) does make some interesting kinds of noises. I don't know if I'd describe them quite the way you did, but it sounds like it could be the same noises.

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I own the same machine (see sig for specs) and I dont' have any sounds like those you described. My iBook's combo drive has a just a few sounds:

1) Upon insert, the drive "locks and loads"
    It is a pretty loud sound, but makes it sound very secure
    2) A steady whirr.
    I wouldn't say that it is low pitched, but it's definitly not a really high pitched sound... just a whirr and humm.

My guess, it has something to do with the open boxness that your iBook was. Check the store's warranty for purchasing open box items.

4. BFedrec thread starter macrumors newbie

well... after playing with it for a bit more... I guess the sound is the "lock & load" you describe... doesn't seem to make much noise when it's being used... just that sound when you put the disk in or take it out.

CharlesP