iBook Combo not reading DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by ibookin', May 22, 2003.

1. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

My iBook 800 Combo is not reading DVD discs. I'm not sure if it ever did, as I never tried it before, but it does not read any DVD disc I put in. As I think it is more software/firmware than a hardware problem, I zapped the PRAM with no luck. The drive reads and writes CDs fine, the only problem being the DVD function.

Thanks in advance.

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Don't they even mount? And what does Apple System Profiler say when you do insert a DVD disc?

3. ibookin' thread starter macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I'm sorry for not mentioning what happens.

The disc just ejects after a few seconds. No whirring, no grinding, it just ejects.

Strange, huh?

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Whooo.....
    Does the System Profiler recognize your drive as a combo? I can't imagine this, but maybe your drive is only a CD / CD-R....? That'll be outrageous, as they sold it as a combo....

5. ibookin' thread starter macrumors 65816

ibookin'

The drive is recognized as a Combo. This would be a HUGE fluke if it wasn't; the 800MHz iBook wasn't sold with a CD-R drive.

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Then, I haven't got a clue.... I'm sorry.
    I would return it to the dealer. It's very strange that it ejects all DVD's.
    I wish you luck!

7. cubist macrumors 68020

Wait, are they DVD-Rs? Make sure the disk is clean and try at least a couple of factory DVDs.

Yesterday I tried to read a DVD-R in my G4 tower (400MHz DVD-RAM drive). It just ejected it after a few seconds, just like you describe. It reads OK in the DVD-ROM drive in my Cube. Factory DVDs play beautifully in the DVD-RAM.

8. ibookin' thread starter macrumors 65816

ibookin'

These are ALL factory DVDs. It won't even play The Matrix :(

I really have no idea what's happening. I have repaired permissions and am going to try it in a little bit. If that doesn't work I'll reinstall the OS.

9. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

10. ibookin' thread starter macrumors 65816

ibookin'

This is a warranty replacment for my old 500MHz iBook. I REALLY don't want to send it in to Apple, though. I really hope that it's just a software problem...

Reinstalling tonight. Backing up right now.

11. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

hmm - combos are notoriously bad. I have one on my iBook and i'm dreading the day it screws up. CDR/W drives have a limited life span (i.e. can only burn X amount of cds), the lifespan on a combo is even worse. Is it possible you've got a reconditioned machine? if so then its possible that your drive has burnt one too many cds and won't read dvds. My old combo on my desktop reached this point (adimtedly it was a wintel machine), and it'd read CDs no problem, wouldn't read any cdrs or dvds - let alone burn one.

That's my only thoughts on the subject...

12. ibookin' thread starter macrumors 65816

ibookin'

The machine came brand new in the retail box and everything. Included all cables, power adapter, etc.

Reinstall didn't help. I guess I'll call Apple.