Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJ Diktator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Sweden
Hi!
I have problems with my new iBook G4 and I posted this in another thread, but i think it is better placed here. So this is my problem:

My less than 1 month old iBook 12" Combodrive will NOT recognise any DVD or CD inserted! Finder won't detect it, it will not appear as an icon on the desktop and the iBook behaves like there were no CD or DVD there at all!
So... I had to restart the computer, shut it down several times and still the combo drive couldn't detect it...Finally I got it out just by using the eject button directly after the computer starts after a reboot.

I firstly detected the Combo Drive problem when i tried to burn a CD using Finder. After the finished burning Finder said the burning was unsuccessful but the CD never came out, and my iBook couldn't recognise the CD at all. Has anyone else had this problem?

-------------------------------------
and after a while…the mess continues

I somehow succesfully replaced my CD with the Mac OS X Install disc One. I held the options button while rebooting my computer, but the system still didn't seem to get it right...My Hard Drive name came up and I chose the right arrow, but when the system started there still was no sign of any running of the Apple Hardware Test. Is this test the same as "repairing permissions"(?) that I was advised to do earlier?

There seems to be a number of problems with my machine. At disc burning in my system profile it only says the system can't recognise any disc burning units...What the hell is my problem here? Apple shall recieve an angry phonecall tomorrow, I suppose... or does anyone have any idea of what,s going on? I'm clueless but fear a hardware problem. Will Apple mess with me regarding installning 3rd party apps and such? I've also shared some files with a Windows PC and at that time shut down my firewall temporarily while connected to the internet. Should i not mention all this to Apple? Could this have anything to do with my problems?
Very very thankful for all help I can get here. Thank you / Martinthink it is a hardware probem with my Combo Drive? I never have had any problems with it until now, I've had it for a few weeks and only third party programs i've installed are VLC, Stuffit and Mac The Ripper. Please everyone who can, help me solving this problem! Thanks ahead, Martin.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Firstly, repairing permissions is not the same as running the Hardware Test CD. I can't imagine repairing permissions will do anything, in fact I'm certain it won't but if you want to do it for the hell of it, go to Disk Utility in your Utilities folder and select your drive from that app and press repair. This will not solve your problems though.

I'm fairly certain it's a hardware issue but maybe put all your MacTheRipper files in the trash, including the app and all preference files. Do a Spotlight search to make sure you get them all. However, don't delete them so that if the problem persists, you can just put them back to where they were. Once again, I doubt this will help.

Next option, if you have some sort of CD cleaner, try that in the drive. This once again probably won't work but it may be worth a try.

Final option, and sadly, probably the only one with a chance of getting a working optical drive, is to go back to Apple and politely tell them your woes and they will replace/fix a faulty mechanical component of your drive (I'm guessing). :)

DJ Diktator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Sweden
Ok, thanks, Mad Jew.
I think I'll try all things you suggested before I speak to Apple. And maybe the adequate way to handle contacts with them is the polite way...

That Mac The Ripper-tip I personally think (and hope) might help. I wonder if the problems didn't occur after I installed that app and ripped a few DVDs.
And you think it's enough to just put the app and all related files in the trashbin without emptying it? I'll try that first, and oncew again, thanks.

And a last one: If i have to speak to Apple, do you think it's wise not to mention MTR for example, or couldn't they care less?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Just putting MTR in the trash is the same as deleting it for this purpose but it means you can get it back very easily rather than having to re-download it.

As for mentioning it to Apple, tell them about it only if necessary/they ask. I reckon they'll blame it entirely if they find out you have it, irrespective of whether it's the problem. They'll use it as an excuse not to help you.

DJ Diktator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Sweden
mad jew said:
As for mentioning it to Apple, tell them about it only if necessary/they ask. I reckon they'll blame it entirely if they find out you have it, irrespective of whether it's the problem. They'll use it as an excuse not to help you.

Exactly this is what I'm afraid of...damn it! So, you wouldn't advise me to lie? If they have the option to blame it on anything software-related, I think they will...

DJ Diktator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Sweden
Just to use the disc utility takes forever. This 'gathering disc information' has loaded for a few minutes now, and nothing seems to happen. The same happened yesterday when i tried to look up the status on my disc burning under 'about this mac'/'more info'/disc burning. First time I did it it said no disc burning instrument could be found. The next time it loaded forever and i had to force quit it, which didn't work either for like five or six tries...
What's happening here?
Should I suspect some virus or anything, I turned off my firewall for a few hours some days ago...

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Perhaps you could try resetting the PRAM. This is the power management module of your computer and so shouldn't really have any effect on the optical drive, however I always find it helps solve the niggly things on my computers (perhaps cos it forces them to forget they ever existed :p).

Turn off your computer and as you hear the start up tone press option command r p and hold them down until you hear the machine restart and do the start up tone again.

Otherwise, calm down! Why are you so mad? Yeh its annoying having a bust CD drive but apple will replace it if its broken. The way you're reacting its as if you've just used a region hack or firmware update on it and its bust your drive and its entirely your fault but want to make out its apples. If this is the case then you're being dishonest.

Do what mad_jew has said, put MacTheRipper + Prefs into the trash (don't Empty Trash though) then restart. See if it reads CDs then. If it doesn't try resetting the PRAM and if that doesn't work phone Apple and just explain you've got a new iBook, which you've had for a month, and the Optical drive has stopped working. Plain and simple.

DJ Diktator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Sweden
Hi.
Well, maybe I am overreacting...but I thinks it's partly 'cos I don't know **** about computers. I get a little paranoid and think I might have caused the problem myself (I don't know everything I'm doing, everything about computers and specifically my iBook is really new to me) and beacuse of that Apple won't be interested in helping me. But...
I called Apple an hour ago and it cooled me down a little bit. The guy i was talking to almost compeletely ruled out a software issue, it felt like I reset everything that's possible to reset (the thing you mentioned plus O+R+Apple+options reset plus clock reset(?)) and still nothing happened. So it seems to be a hardware problem and I was told to take it to a Apple service center. The nearest one is miles and miles away though, and the Apple guy estimated it would take at least a week to order a new combo drive plus repair time, so I guess I'll have to do without my iBook for a while now...Hope it gets better when it gets back.
Thanks for your help with this issue anyway MJ and SM.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, I always thought it was mechanical but it's always a good idea to rule out the software side of things considering it's so much cheaper and easier to fix. I don't think you're overreacting by the way, it should just work and it didn't. That's not good enough. Hopefully Apple will have it fixed/replaced in no time though. :)

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Oh well,now you know you'll be without the iBook for a while I'll comiserate with you. :(

It sucks when things go wrong but you need a little confidence. You say you don't know f*** all about your Mac - no worries! A little confidence and the MacRumors forums gets you a long way. Relax. When you get it back have a GOOD play with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.