Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nateleduc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Im working on a ibook with a 600mhz processor and 340mb of ram, which I'm about to upgrade a 700mb. I have a osx 10.4 running on it and its extremely laggy. I can't watch videos on youtube with out getting 5fps. I checked and i have 50mb of ram free and using 100%. Any ideas?

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Your G3 is too old, to be used for todays internet. Even the G4s have problems with online video. Don't waist money on ram, it will not help enough, with your outdated processor.

Bloodstar

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Give MacTubes a try - it works wonders on my G4s and G5s. I'm not sure about a G3, however, but removing Flash can't hurt. Don't expect any Flash content to be a hot performer, though - unless, maybe, it's rather old.

Also, if you want to play offline video, try to find the last G3-compatible version of VLC.

I'd suggest you look into a new machine - unfortunately, G3s just don't have the muscle to do everything well nowadays. Getting a bit of RAM might help, but I believe those machines max out at 640MB.

Don't pour too much money into it on anything that can't be transferred to a new machine. Maybe $20-30 for a bit of a boost would be good, but much more than that and you're getting a bit iffy. (Knowing the prices of older RAM, I dunno if you're going to get a really good deal. $35 for my 1GB module in my iBook was a lucky find - it's usually far more!)

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.