iBOOK crash??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DIGITAL, Jan 13, 2004.

1. DIGITAL macrumors newbie

Well this was my first mac computer and i have had it for about 2 months now. (and yes i fell inlove with mac now) but now im having a kinda regret. I was sitting on my couch when i was surfin the net(macrumors.com to be exact) when all of a sudden it shuts down. So i check the batteries and its completely full. i try powering it up again but it makes a sound like the HD starts to spin and then just stops. I ran out of ideas i dont know what could be the problem any ideas would be great?

also are there any recalls on the ibooks?

and last questions how long is my warranty for this ibook, i was expecting it to just randomly fail on me within the first 6 months. *note i dont have any of the extended warranties*

2. Bran macrumors member

Is this a G4 or G3 iBook? If it's a G3 you could be in for some board problems. And if it is, call Apple tech. There are known logic board problems with the G3's but usually not as soon as 2 months of usage...

If you didn't buy AppleCare, your warranty lasts for 1 year.

3. DIGITAL thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a G4 800mhz. Pretty much brand new. used for about 2 months now. i hope the standard warranty is 90 days.

Edit: Just found out i get the 90day complementary warranty. Wow is mac gonna get a mouth full from me when i complain about their laptop that lasts only 3 months. atleasts its under warranty tho.

anways it was my first mac i did fall in love with it and i dont think im ever going to go back to the pc.

anyways any other stupid things that i might help this situation out? Thanks again

4. Bran macrumors member

Try maybe popping out the battery or something to reset it. Do you hear the chime?

Nothing to worry about, your warranty will cover it. It's best if you take it to the closest authorized apple dealer, they'll fix it/tell you exactly what's going on for free.

It sounds like your hard drive crashed or something. There aren't known problems on the G4 800MHz iBook, must be random occurance.

5. DIGITAL thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the info. You know how long the warranty is for the ibook? i can't find out if its a year or 90 days i keep getting different responses on sites. Anyways im still kinda dissapointed with this happening. I hope when i buy my dual G5 i dont run into problems like this.

Bran now im trying to power it on and not a single noise happens. I checked the battery, removed it and all and nothing seems fixed. o well.

6. Bran macrumors member

Aw crap what have you done to it!

When I asked the university apple store dealer if I bought my Mac online custom from Apple.ca without AppleCare can I bring it in for repairs he told me that I could for the first whole year, 12 months. And I asked about dead pixels he says if it's like over 10 or something they( Apple) will replace it. Same goes for hardware failure.

Your iBook sound seriously dead. You should immediately bring it to an Authorized Dealer and/or call Apple Support in case what you said about the "90 day warranty" is true.

Also if you bought it from CompUSA or something I think you just take it back to them.

7. DIGITAL thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Pilgrims Pro macrumors regular

With the free warranty that is given to you by Apple, is 90 Tech Support, 1 year parts and labor.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

the 90 days is free phone support, after that, it's $50 per incedent (I suppose that allows numerous calls per case number), unless it ends in a return/repair. Buying the extended warranty gives you 3 years of free phone support and 3 years of hardware warranty. Better? :D