Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 23, 2005
Hi all,
I just won an iBook G4 800MHz on eBay that crashes when moved (I haven't even received it yet.) The seller said it was diagnosed at the apple store as a logic board failure. I am going to buy a new logic board and install it (I've been doing this sort of thing for years so it's not a big deal for me,) but I don't see how a failing logic board is sensitive to motion unless one of the components on it is not soddered correctly. Does anyone know what causes this, as I could possibly just look into repairing the logic board itself or perhaps fixing the logic board and then selling it. Also, does anyone know if the G4 800 iBook can take any G4 12" logic board, or does it require only logic boards from the 800/1000 Mhz family?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
pmartin said:
Hi all,
I just won an iBook G4 800MHz on eBay that crashes when moved. The seller said it was diagnosed at the apple store as a logic board failure. I am going to buy a new logic board and install it (I've been doing this sort of thing for years so it's not a big deal for me,) but I don't see how a failing logic board is sensitive to motion unless one of the components on it is not soddered correctly. Does anyone know what causes this, as I could possibly just look into repairing the logic board itself or perhaps fixing the logic board and then selling it. Also, does anyone know if the G4 800 iBook can take any G4 12" logic board, or does it require only logic boards from the 800/1000 Mhz family?

From what I recall, you can only put in a 1.07ghz 12" logic board the faster boards won't fit. Seems there should be some way to repair and diagnose the 800mhz board, tho.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
pmartin said:
[...]The seller said it was diagnosed at the apple store as a logic board failure. [...] I don't see how a failing logic board is sensitive to motion unless one of the components on it is not soddered correctly. Does anyone know what causes this, as I could possibly just look into repairing the logic board itself or perhaps fixing the logic board and then selling it.
Long shot: But e.g. a loose Airport card might cause this behaviour... I would actually just test the iBook, and open it up to see if all components and connectors were attached properly... some things in there actually requires quite a bit of force to sit as tight as they should...

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I would talk to Apple again and try to find out if the logic board might be covered under a recall.

You'll have to give them the serial number etc, but that would be first on my list.

fuzzie

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2004
pmartin said:
Hi all,
I don't see how a failing logic board is sensitive to motion unless one of the components on it is not soddered correctly. Does anyone know what causes this, as I could possibly just look into repairing the logic board itself or perhaps fixing the logic board and then selling it.

I've dealt with about, ooh, 20 logic board replacements on iBook G3s, and the first thing to happen when they failed was always that it crashed when moved, even slightly.

As explained to me, the problem is that the GPU comes detached from the board and it's essentially impossible to solder it back on, and it's generally fried itself by that point anyway.

Do tell if you manage to fix it, though, I still have a few of those logic boards lying around and I'd love to fix them :)

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 23, 2005
fuzzie said:
I've dealt with about, ooh, 20 logic board replacements on iBook G3s, and the first thing to happen when they failed was always that it crashed when moved, even slightly.

As explained to me, the problem is that the GPU comes detached from the board and it's essentially impossible to solder it back on, and it's generally fried itself by that point anyway.

Do tell if you manage to fix it, though, I still have a few of those logic boards lying around and I'd love to fix them :)

If its the GPU becoming detached I do have a link for you that I think might save us both some money!

http://www.powerbook-fr.com/ibook/bricolage/repair_g3_video_en_article797.html
http://www.applefritter.com/node/10193

Please keep the advice coming, this is all very helpful to me.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 23, 2005
Hi everyone,
Is anyone sure of what logic boards this computer can take? For example, could I just drop a 1.33GHz logic board in there and call it a day or am I limited to 1GHz and slower logic boards?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Yeah, like I already wrote, you can only bump it up to 1 ghz.

The faster boards will NOT fit the 800mhz ibook chassis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.