iBook cursor gone wonky!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kaizer, Mar 31, 2003.

1. kaizer macrumors member

Jan 23, 2003
    I've been experiencing some wierd cursor movement with my "still new" iBook. Sometimes out of the blue, it will just ceased to move (trackpad) completely! I usually use a two button USB mouse (recent switcher) when I work at home, but recently I've gone lazy and decided to do some typing on my bed (isn't that why we spent extra for? Portability;) ).

Okay, back to my question. The trackpad just ceased to function. The worst is yesterday where it failed completely (it used to work right back after a few tapping here and there). I have to plug in the mouse and restart it to get it to work properly (I notice that it takes a long time to shut down compared to before)

I've set in the Preference Panel that whenever there's a mouse present, ignore trackpad. Before I shut it down, I try to reset the preference (untick "ignore trackpad") but to no avail.

Anybody experience this before or do you guys have any solutions for me?

Help... As I'm feeling De javu all over again (I used to be a PC user ;))
  2. ibookin' macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry to hear you're having problems with your new Mac. Hope this won't sour you on the platform...

Call Apple or go to the Apple Store post haste. This is a warranty problem and should be covered.
  3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Well, there are a couple of very basic things that come to mind.

Are you wearing jewelry? rings and bracelets can affect trackpad performance

Have you tried cleaning the trackpad? excess oil from your fingers could build up and screw with things.

This is not the first iBook trackpad malfunction i've heard of, so perhaps it's a hardware defect. Still under warranty? see if apple will replace it...

4. Gus macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    I have a few months old iBook 800 and my fiancé has the older 600 version, and we both have this problem periodically, but ours is only for a few seconds. I would be curious to know what Apple tells you. On the other note, my iBook takes forever to restart. Sometimes it just hangs on the opening gray Apple screen for 10 minutes and I have to restart using the key combo about 4 times before it gets going properly.

5. kaizer thread starter macrumors member

Jan 23, 2003
    Okay, will try to call Apple this two days (kinda busy).

No I don't wear jewelry. I used to wear a bracelet, but I took it of as it scratches the iBook's palm rest. I clean the whole iBook every week or so. It doesn't seems that dirty to warrant a malfunction ;)

Whoa, Gus! Sad to hear that your iBook story. Gives me the creeps...

Anyway, still love my iBook. Am a proud owner indeed. Sometimes using a Mac pisses me off (lack of local support and software) but nevertheless, it's an amazing machine.

I don't think even the latest P4 Window XP machine can last for a week of continuous usage without shutting down.

I only shut down my baby once a week... I just put it to sleep most of the time. Not to mention the battery life... suites me to a T!