iBook dead pixel

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pcuserx, Feb 15, 2003.

1. pcuserx macrumors member

I bought a brand new iBook today. And yet is has a dead pixel which is extremly annoying. Any suggestions on what to do? Are dead pixels covered by the warranty?

2. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

Yeah my iBook was the same way when i bought back in Dec. Just deal with it, its no big deal and I don't think they exchange for one dead pixel.

3. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Try...

Getting a damp soft cloth, and rubbing the pixel very gently.

5. Independence macrumors regular

i have a few bad pixels in the screen of my IBM Thinkpad 755CE. i dont really notice them.

6. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

no choice

you just have to deal with it.

i think it takes 8-10 dead pixels for it to be a warranty issue.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

8. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

could be. i tried looking on apple's website before i posted, but i could not find a actual number. 8-10 was just a summary of what i have heard in the past.

too bad some PC companies will replace at 3 dead pixels, regardless of size!

although, i have never seen a dead pixel on a mac before. ibook/powerbook/imac as well as the studio displays i have seen in various stores.

9. reflex macrumors 6502a

I bought an iBook two weeks ago and it also has two stuck pixels (one only at first, the second one made its appearance a bit later). I thought I would just have to live with it, but I sent an email to the shop anyway. Guess what, they told me to bring it in to "fix it under warranty". So that's what I'll do come Monday. I don't know if they'll really fix them or not, but I suppose it can't do any harm.

10. cionheart macrumors member

It depends also on the place of the dead pixel(s). One or two Always-on-Red pixels in the middle of the screen are a lot worser than a Always-Black pixel in some corner. I would ask for replacement anyway. If they replace it, you'll be happy, if not you've tried it at least. :)

11. iGav macrumors G3

Apple UK told me it was 3.

I don't think anyone really knows.... it depends what mood Apple are in..... :p :p :p

12. iGav macrumors G3

Keep in mind though.... that the replacement could have faults too! When Apple replaced my old TiBooks screen with a new one because of pixel problems, the screen came back with a dead pixel and 2 stuck ones.....

13. iGav macrumors G3

Re: iBook dead pixel

Select a dark background..... :D

if it's a stuck pixel (red, green, blue) you may be able to massage it out, although this doesn't always work..... if it's dead, then there's nothing that can be done, although I'd agree with cionheart, it's better having a dead pixel than a stuck one....

As I said above though, the replacement screen Apple would fit under warranty, would still be under the same manufacturers tolerences for dead or stuck pixels, so in theory the replacement screen could be worse than the screen you have now.... remember the grass isn't always greener as they say!! :)

14. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

if its stuck - swear a bit and try the above. if it is dead, swear a bit and live with it.

thats life and thats LCDs for you.

ps. apple warranty officially kicks in at 10 malfunctionaing px. just get and info pdf for the displays.