iBook Dead?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by samb, Jan 27, 2006.

1. samb macrumors newbie

My iBook froze so i force quitted it. When I restarted, a grey screen appeared with the finder icon and question mark flashing. I tried holding down option when restarting to try and find a disk to start from, but it gave me nothing.

is it screwed?

2. fitinferno macrumors 6502

Can it boot to CD? Have you tried running the disk utility from the install cd? Could help.

If nothing else, I'd say give it a few more tries. Otherwise, might be screwed. Mine has done something like this before but it found the OS after a few restarts. Now it restarts just fine, though it always shows that icon for a few seconds upon startup.

3. samb thread starter macrumors newbie

tried the osx cd tonight, and a red cross comes up in the middle of the screen, so i'm guessing thats a bad thing!!

don't think it's gonna come back, will try a couple more restarts though!!

4. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

5. fitinferno macrumors 6502

That definitely doesn't sound good. It should be at least booting the CD if nothing else. Definitely try the other suggestion, but maybe it's just a bad hd? Do you happen to have an Apple Store near you so you could take it to them?

6. samb thread starter macrumors newbie

tried resetting pram etc, nothing happened. does this mean I have lost everything on my hard drive or will people at apple be able to recover things?