Ibook Delay... = Update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Myradon, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Myradon macrumors newbie

I placed an order for an Ibook on the 4th of this month, and accidently left off GSt. So long story short they recived my payment on monday. The neat thing is my shipping date was punched ahead to the 29th (from the 13th). Now does this mean low stock on Ibooks or an impending update?

Maybe I'm just being hopeful

2. timmyb macrumors 6502

I don't think it's low stock. A recent AppleInsider article said that Apple had high stock levels for virtually all of their products. Along with the promo ending on the 25th and NECC the next day (with Apple's huge stand,) it all points to one thing :) :)

3. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

i'd cancel it if i were you, there will probably be an update next week

4. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Ooo! I sure hope so. But there have been so many false prophets so far! Please be the update. Please be the update!

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I agree with updates next week, they will most likely come on the 28th...

SHadOW :D

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I'm keeping an eye on the iBook as it is in need of an update

The thing is I don't see what an update will do

For one they could upgrade it to a Mactel but then that would mean that it would/could out perform the PowerBook, even if they keep it as PPC then there is no legroom between the PowerBook either

There are rumors about the widescreen but I would think that would come with a major upgrade and not a speed bump

It feels too early to start releasing a Mactel now at least (maybe early next year) but thats just my opinion

For me I don't see how the iBook can get another decent yet minor bump without making the PowerBook worse off

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    They might not change the processor speed but just bump RAM, graphics card and throw in Bluetooth as standard...

8. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Yeah I guess they'll do that but I think thats all they can really do for the moment

9. TheSisko macrumors regular

And to what GC would they change it without surpassing the PB's?

10. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

they will upgrade to a Graphics card with 64mb Vram, or just update the one that is in there now, so CoreImage in Tiger is supported, only the Mac mini & the iBook lack this... not that the eyecandy is something a lot of people is waiting for, but if they say tiger -> 64bm Vram they should upgrade their hardware to that specs... that's all... a big speedbump is not to be expected, unless they do a whole speedbump on all laptops... keeping the iBooks still a little behind on the Powerbooks...

11. apple_g5 macrumors member

apple_g5

And there's another "updates soon" thread...

Sorry for my sarcasm...

12. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

every week there is a new thread about updates :p and every week there is a new next tuesday ;-)
    and one tuesday ther will be updates, followed by new threads about the next updates...
    as long as people want new and faster threads will follow :D

13. TheSisko macrumors regular

Where did you get the delusional idea that somehow 64MB VRAM has anything whatsoever to do with Core Image? And no-one has said tiger -> 64bm Vram.

Though I would like 64MB VRAM, because the Exposé animation gets choppy when more than 10-15 windows are open.

14. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

from apple

"When a programmable GPU is present, Core Image utilizes the graphics card for image processing operations, freeing the CPU for other tasks. And if you have a high-performance card with increased video memory (VRAM), you'll find real-time responsiveness across a wide variety of operations."

my G5 has the 5200 card with 64mb vram and does coreimage effects (like the ripple in Dashboard) a friends iBook has the 9200 with 32mb vram and the ripple effect isn't there...

I thought that's why they recently upgraded the videocard in the eMac to one with 64Mb vram... if 32 was enough they could have just upgraded the processor and leave the rest alone...

but maybe I'm wrong... but since Tiger came along so did graphics upgrades on some systems...

15. TheSisko macrumors regular

Probably true that more VRAM would give better performance in future applications that will use Core Image. As for the ripple effect, I highly doubt that 32MB VRAM would make any difference.

As for your FX5200, read this: http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2005/qa1416.html

This is why I think that Apple should replace the R9200 with something more powerful than the FX5200 (which has comparable performance to the R9200).

And to do that, they should first replace the FX5200 in the PowerBooks with Mobility Radeon 9600 or 9700.

That´s because Apple, for performance reasons, have chosen not to render the effect on the iBook´s CPU, even though it can be done. It appears that for this particular effect, the FX5200 is faster than the CPU, even though it is generally slower.

16. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Yeah... okay, so there are a few already. :) But in the Buyers forum what can we bitch and moan about? It's either the iBook or Mac Mini. Give it a month or two and Powerbook will join the argument.

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's only the 12" PB that has the 5200. The 15" and 17" both have the 9700 already. I always wondered whether it was a size/case space issue that kept the 12" to a 5200.

18. TheSisko macrumors regular

I know that, do you think it makes any difference? If it´s the size...then an updated iBook would have the same problem. If it´s not, they would have to upgrade the 12"PB. What would you buy, a PB with a FX5200 or a much cheaper iBook with a Mobility R9600?

19. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

No, it'll not be upgraded to a Macintel at this stage.

andy.

20. Myradon thread starter macrumors newbie

Not to bump this ancient and presumably dead topic, but I just received another e-mail from Apple. My order was AGAIN bumped back another week. This is most curious. I have not had an online retailer bump an order back a total of 3 weeks for what amounts to the basic bare bones product. I ordered the basic config 12 inch, nothing magical nothing that should need to be installed, or ripped out of the machine.

I have not purchased from Apple online before, is this common behavior for them? Do Bare bones enjoy a longer shipping process than a custom order? Maybe I'm nuts, but I still believe this points to Upgrade imminent.

Also Apple has an upcoming Media Event . Since they have already unleashed new Ipods, and new Itunes o nthe world... What is left...?

21. lizard79 macrumors member

i hope you're right, but i don't think u are..
    no ibook updates till the end of sept.. I'm pretty sure..