iBook detects no TV but VGA with AVadapter

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Helheste, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Helheste macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I recently bought an AV adapter for my iBook 600mhz DualUSB.
    I attached it with S-video to my TV at home, and everything worked fine, Im sure I bought the right adapter for my ibook.
    Now,... I went to my other TV, which has no s-video, and I attached it with composite (the yellow cable).
    It didnt worked, I got a distorted screen, couldnt see anything.
    The ibook detected VGA instead of TV, and I could switch between different resolutions, but nothing worked out.
    I went back to the TV with s-video, and tryed it again there, like I did before, when all worked fine, and now, I have the same problem there. Distorted, chromeless image, and it detects VGA.
    Pressing 'detecting screens' on the ibook is not working.
    Can anyone please help me out with this one, I bet its a software problem, I read other forums with simmilar problems, but there was never a proper solution.
    Thanks in advance.

2. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

I have a dual USB 500MHz, and I often connect it to my TV, via composite (yellow/black/red cables). If i push the plug all the way in on the ibook i get a very distorted image, however if i gently wiggle it out a bit the image becomes fine. I have had a similar problem when connecting it via VGA to projectors etc.

Dont know if this helps, Its possible just mine has slightly dodgy ports, but have a wiggle around and see what happens.

Also when connecting via composite (using the headphone jack on ibook) you shouldnt have to do anything to the preferences it should automatically come up on the TV. (well mine does anyway)

good luck

3. Helheste thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, thanks for the reply.
    But we dont have the same problem.
    I dont use the same port as you do, because my ipod does not support av out thru the headphone jack.
    I have this adapter from the AV port, where there is a connector with composit and s-video, both dont work anymore because the ibook recognises my tv as a vga screen.

anyone else got somethingwhat could help me?

4. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

This might sound like a stupid question, but worth trying....have you tried rebooting?

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I have the exact same problem on my iBook G4. The mini-VGA out works (I use it for my second display), the adapter works (tried on other computers) but for some reason it's not detecting that an NTSC/PAL monitor is plugged in and it gives me only VGA options.

I have:
    Archived and Installed
    Rebooted
    Used various combinations of turning TV/iBook on and off with adapter in or out.
    Even getting my HDD replaced when it died did nothing
    The ATI drivers also do bugger all.

It's not too much of a problem but yeah, it's annoying.

6. Helheste thread starter macrumors newbie

idd, tried everything too, for me its a problem, I bought the stupid thing, and it does not work

7. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

I never had a problem with my iBook and the TV adaptor, so I don't have any suggestions on how to fix it unfortunately.

EDIT: Maybe doing complete format and install instead of archive? Could be some setting somewhere that is being carried across.

8. Helheste thread starter macrumors newbie

thats a bit drastic maybe... I dont want to lose everyhting at this moment, because of something stupid like this. There has to be a solution for this

9. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

Of course...it was just the only thing I could think of.