ibook dieing please help!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by howard, Dec 14, 2003.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

my ibooks screen freezes up and then goes blank randomly!! whats going on?

i usually have my plugged in most of the time but i wore the battery almost all the way down yesterday and last night i plugged it in and then it unplugged it later and it froze on me...and now it randomly freezes almost immediatly if i unplug it and then just in a little while if i don't...i tried zapping pram that didn't seem to work...

any ideas? please help!

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

It sounds like your power connector is bust. Its properly charging the laptop so when you unplug there is no power. So that could cause the computer to die. By freeze do you mean, shut off or, OS freeze. If its an OS freeze the MLB could be dying because it has power management on it.

3. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

its more of an os freeze....

for awhile it wasn't restarting and now i got it back up again... it seems to work for long if i have it plugged in..which i do now...i'm affraid of unplugging it.

on another note as a result of zapping the pram i believe it got rid of the monitor spanning hack i had on it. i didn't think it was undoable. what do you mean by MLB dieing cause of power managment on?

4. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

ok...so it seems to be working for awhile on power, but if i go battery it'll die.

ugh how could this happen so randomly?

a couple more questions...if i take it to the apple store will they look at it if the warranty has ran out? if all i need is a new battery i can pay for that only out 100 rather than having to send it in and find out there are more problems that are gonna cost a ton of money.

if anyone has any ideas of things i can try please help! i'm desperate!

do you think reinstalling 10.2 will work? i tried that but it said you have an up to date version installed on your computer...how do i get around that?

thanks for you help

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

is it under warrenty?
    never herd of such a thing happening though in future when useing your ibook on a power lead removeing the battery is a good idea otherwise it buggers up

6. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

no its over a year old unfortunately and i don't have applecare

anyone know how to load up 10.2 again?...whenever i try it says a newer version is already on my computer. is there any way to install it without wiping the harddrive?

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

8. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

how do you do that?

i didn't see that as an option...maybe i'm not looking in the right place...