iBook discontinued!!

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by menoinjun, May 14, 2002.

1. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

I know that there has been talk about CompUSA discontinuing the iBook, and I can say that they ARE officially discoe'd!! They come up as D-01 in the CompUSA system.

New iBooks in two weeks from today maybe?

-Pete

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

the new iBook should be here in any day now. as well as OS X 10.1.5

3. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

It seems strange that Apple would release iBooks so soon after a press event.

I'm also not expecting 10.1.5 any time in the next couple of weeks. I'm sick of these crappy little 0.0.1 updates - I don't think I've noticed any real improvements in OS X for ages. Please hurry up anf get here July, I want Jagwire!

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I expect there will be an x.15 upgrade when the XServe is available.

I think we will see an iBook update soon but that could mean tomorrow or next month :)

Ensign

5. ntg macrumors regular

ntg

...but surely they will release new iBooks to complement all the XServers that will be bought for education over the holidays? (especially with the QE requirements!)

6. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I'm not saying they won't do it... just that it seems strange. Why wouldn't they just release the two at the same time? Even if the iBook was not quite ready - so what? Apple rarely releases something that is available straight away.

The only thing I can think of is that Apple didn't want to spread attention between two products. Give people a week or two to talk about the xServe gear, then release the new iBook?

7. ntg macrumors regular

ntg

...but isn't it the NECC show around the middle of June? - what an ideal time to actually release XServers to the education market along with their new 'client' iBooks!!:D

8. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

NECC is June 17-19. I hadn't thought about that. (Actually, to be honest, I didn't even know what it was until I looked it up using Google ;)) You're right, that could be a good time to release the new iBook...

9. j763 macrumors 6502a

Jagwire probably won't turn up until september at the earliest... So don't look forward to July in terms of OS updates... Also, any official word from Apple that Jaguar is in fact 10.2 -- in the past, they've gone from OS x.1 and then to OS x.5 or OS x.6. The only exception in that is OS 9...

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If its discontinued, it means that the new one is coming out soon. I can't imagine CompUSA waiting a month for new iBooks. Besides, it might only be a minor speed bump and a harddisk change. But even if its not and we get a 1 GHz G3 in the iBook, following closely to the XServe is irrelevant. These two machines are for two totally different markets.

11. GigaWire macrumors 6502

12. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

To add fuel to the rumor....I was looking at the specials in "The Wiz" and they have a big sale on all 500-600Mhz iBooks (with existing inventory). That means they're trying to get rid of them to make room for the new ones.

13. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

14. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

HMMM!

Something is brewing, maybe 800mhz iBook? Or G4?
    I can't wait!

Were jave u been Gigawire?

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Do you really think a G4 in a iBook? That would be crazy man! I don't see them doing it yet, what would be the major distinction between the TiPB and the iBook that would get you the $1000+ difference in price? And they can't raise the price too much if they do put a G4 under the hood. It don't make sense.

16. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I think that we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

What doesn't make any sense is if they were to continue the iBook with a slightly bumped G3. Apple is going with OS X, and OS X is optimized for Altivec.

Yeah, I know that most iBook users don't need Alti-Vec for stuff like word processing, e-mail, etc. But the same can be said of iMac user (not to mention eMac users). Hey, all I know is that iTunes is optimized for Alti-Vec and pratically every Mac user uses that one.

The only way that I see the iBook continuing with a G3 is if IBM liscenses Alti-Vec from Motorola. And I don't see that happening.

BTW, everyone talks about how much cheaper the G3 is to the G4. I think that Motorola was selling Apollo 7445 for about $250 a piece when they came out late last year (or early this year). I'm sure they're a little cheaper now. How much do these 1Ghz Sahara G3s cost? I'd say that if they only differ by $100, then Apple doesn't have a compelling cost reason to keep the iBook away from the G4.

Plus, the G4 iBook doesn't have to use the 7445. They could very well use the 7450/7451 that have been around for a long time. The cost of these chips have to be pretty darned low.

Oh, and the distinction between the iBook and TiBook would be:

1. Larger screen
    2. L3 cache
    3. Larger hard drive
    4. Better video card
    5. 133mhz bus
    6. Dual monitor support
    7. PC Card
    8. Faster optical drives (not sure about this, but it's doable)
    9. More RAM potential
    10. Faster "high-end" G4

Does this add up to $1000 or so? I think so.

17. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Add OS 4, 5 and 6 to that exception list.

18. Quark macrumors regular

Education - eBook

Why would Apple not make an Education Book (edBook or iMac Traveller or GoBook or GoMac)? G4 with a graphics card compatible with QE and perhaps a slightly larger display and a more durable case.

Then also upgrade the iBooks with larger display, G4, faster graphics compatible with QE.

Doesn't this make sense or am I missing something from the Education market that Apple is expanding?

Quark

19. jenkij macrumors newbie

I think the comp_usa out here needs a new apple rep, he has been saying next week for 1 1/2 months now

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Actually there were 7.2, 7.3, and 7.4 updates... they were just internal releases. i think i've got 7.2 on a computer somewhere in storage...

:)
    pnw

21. JackRipper macrumors regular

That's not entirely true.... I seem to recall having 7.2.1 installed on my Performa 6400 at one time.

22. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

I have 7.2 on a Macintohs IIVX.

23. lucs macrumors member

ibooks in july

Most people around here seem to think the release of reved ibooks in July is unlikely, since it would steal the thunder of the new powermacs....but if there is to be no g5, and no confirmed redesigning of the cases, it may be very likely.

As for os x , i think we'll be seeing Jaguar shipping late summer....has that been said already? Geez, gotta pay more attention to the announcements...

what if Apple changed the names of the ibooks to match the names of the new rackmounts....could we expect and Xbook??

24. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Good. New iBooks are just what we need to show the pee-cee world what a compact notebook is supposed to be. Light, feature rich, and inexpensive... none of that vaio crap.

btw, microsoft can FIITA

25. menoinjun thread starter macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

You definitely need a new apple rep. Not only is he wrong, but if apple finds out that he's telling people that...then he's gonna get fired!!

My apple rep is great...but he refuses to violate his NDA. Sucks for me, kudos to him. He does let me see some cool inside stuff though...I'm gonna try and get him to let me download os 10.1.5 which I believe he has access too.

Ahh, the benefits of working at CompUSA...

He is a great guy though...he's gonna forward my resume to someone at Apple corporate.

-Pete