ibook display HELP!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pdpardue, May 10, 2005.

1. pdpardue macrumors regular

Hey everyone, quick question. I have a 14" g3 700mhz ibook and today the screen started acting up (read as all messed up, "scanlines" everywhere, garbled video, stuff not being in the right spot), then now the screen won't even turn on. I've read around a little, and determined it is either the logic board or the reed switch. Any thoughts on how to get it fixed, it's out of warrenty and I really don't have any money to spend on it. I am desperate for some info here.

Thanks...

2. shorty116 macrumors member

are you sure it's out of warranty? i just got my ibook 700 repaired 2 weeks ago. it can be repaired from 3 years of purchase date. otherwise you would have to pay 500$ - 600$ for a new logicboard. so i would probably sell it on ebay, i think you should get some 200$ - 300$ and with the 600$ you would pay for repairing it you could just get a new one...

3. pdpardue thread starter macrumors regular

warrenty

as for the warrenty, I was refering to th standard warrenty... I did however check the apple site in regards to the logic board and found that my model falls into the range of serial numbers for repair/replacement. My only concern is that I bought it used, so don't know the original purchase date, though the info on the back puts it at 2002 for manufacture.

One question to shorty116 (or anyone really), how long did it take to get repaired? I am on a very tight deadline, I am a student and next week is finals week. (now a question to everyone); would it be safe to plug it in 6pin-6pin firewire start up in target mode and transfer some stuff, or could that risk more damage? Today is Tuesday (well wednesday now...), and I need stuff on it no later then Friday.

Apple opens their phone lines in less then 6 hours, so in like 8 I will be giving them a call. hopefully all I hear is good news otherwise I will have a really expensive and bulky paper weight (though very nice looking).

Thanks to everyone

EDIT:

added a pic:

Attached Files:

4. shorty116 macrumors member

well i transfered files in target mode while having the logic board problem, it worked fine no problems at all. i think you can safely move around your files, as your harddrive and your ports (even though they are on your logicboard) don't suffer from the original logic board problem. my repair took 1 week, but that's due to i live in austria and we don't have an apple store and so it takes longer, cause they had to order the new board and stuff. i heard from guys in the U.S. who got it back within 3 days. just ask your apple store or apple service provider, in my case they told me 1 week and it actually took 1 week.

i had to bring the invoice, so they could check the date. but this was only with an apple service provider, maybe an apple store can look up the purchase/registration date without the invoice.

5. pdpardue thread starter macrumors regular

no help...

Well, i just got off the phone wih apple (after 30-40 minutes btw), and it seems that they have no way of looking up the purchase date, and without the purchase date, there is no way of knowing if it qualifies under the logic board replacement. Thus, it may very be that I have a really nice looking paper weight as there is absolutly no way even a remote chance of me ever getting this fixed... there goes my first apple computer purchase ever (acctually, my first computer purchase ever as well)... Chalk one up to my incredibly bad luck.

If anyone has any suggestions, or would like to take a perfectly good ibook (save for the logic board) off my hands for some money so I can atleast try to recoup some losses, please by all means let me know. Otherwise it seems like am just going to stay with my incredibly old dell and look back on the time when i was a proud apple owner.

At least nothing yet has happened to my ipod.

EDIT:

okay, looked up my manufacture date (via serial number), called apple back, told them the story and whatnot. They looked up the manufacture date, put the manufacture date as the purchase date (June 2002) which puts it under the 3 year cutoff... long story short, i should have a box here by tomorrow so i can send it to them for repairs. So happy i could dance.

thank you shorty116 for your help

6. shorty116 macrumors member

glad to hear that, now just hope your second logic board won't fail, as it happens quite often that they replaced a board and some months later it also failed. mine is still working *crossingfingers*

does anybody know if apple extends the warranty of logic boards if they have been replaced?

7. pdpardue thread starter macrumors regular

Back

Well, I got my ibook back yesterday, but it came with a crack on the face of the frame around the LCD... In the corner on the left side by the bottom side screw. I am curious as to if I should contact apple and request that it be replaced. It left fine, and came back cracked. On the apple care sheet is says that products may be returned within 90 days if they are defective... Well, that's a defect right?

Thanks

Paul

8. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

If you can be bothered with the rigamarole then yes. Some appletech was a bit overzealous when repairing your machine methinks!
    Good you got it repaired and you bought it used and such and such.

9. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

That's strange, sounds like they were trying to pry up the bezel around the screen, which if they were to solely replace the logic board, there would be no reason to even crack open the display. And I say solely because they may have decided to replace the display and inverter cable.

10. pdpardue thread starter macrumors regular

crack

no, it's the same display, but the list said something about replacing some bezel... not sure why they would replace it with a cracked on though? Sould I at least call them and see what's up?

11. pdpardue thread starter macrumors regular

sent it back in

went to the apple store in the mall yesterday and had them send it back to fixed. So right now I am again with out my ibook. I can say that at least apple does fix their products... unfortunitly, I have to now use the dell that I hate working on untill the ibook gets back.