iBook Down! (Won't Start)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ZLMarshall, May 15, 2006.

1. ZLMarshall macrumors newbie

May 15, 2006
    I inherited an iBook this year, and it's been working pretty well up to this point. Now suddenly it won't start. Power button does nothing, screen stays black, no clicks, buzzes, or bells. The power chord has a questionable connection (moving it around, left or right, can disconnect it), but seems to still sit properly. The battery is dead as well (one blinking light/4) and doesn't charge even when I leave it plugged in for an extended period. It doesn't start with the battery out either.

Warranty is up by now

No liquids, no drops, nothing fell on it. What gives?? I'd really appreciate a guess or two...
  2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    When it is plugged in, what color is the charge indicator light?
  3. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2006
    Motherboard problem. What model iBook is it?
  4. ZLMarshall thread starter macrumors newbie

May 15, 2006
    It's green.

I believe this is one of the 2nd generation (purchased way back in mid '02). I'd be able to tell you for sure if I could turn it on :D
  5. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    Well, I can't remember when the G4s came out, but I assume, given its apparent age, that it is a G3. These computers have had a history of logic board failures and that could be your issue here.
  6. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    There'll be a sticker on the bottom or under the battery.
  7. ZLMarshall thread starter macrumors newbie

May 15, 2006

Name: iBook G3 (Mid 2002)
    Model: Mxxxx iBook G3 700MHz
    Bus speed: 100MHz
    Screen size: 12 inch

New fun symptoms. I left it plugged in for ~3 hours. Came back to find the light turned orange. The light in the middle of the F-Keys was green (blinking randomly like it had a bad connection). When I looked under the battery to find the sticker, I smelled smoke. Sounds like something's fried, eh? :rolleyes:
  8. imacintel macrumors 68000

Mar 12, 2006