iBook dual display hack

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by niter, Jan 19, 2004.

1. niter macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2003
    I am considering using the hack to use the dual display on my iBook G4 12". The Apple computer tech assigned to my department believes it is a bad idea. For some reason, he thinks that any future updates that could somehow be affected by this. I think this is a little silly, but considering all of the troubles with the iBook, I really want to be sure this is okay to do.

Once the hack is used, can I access the dual display through system properties? This is my first Macintosh laptop, and I do not know how this works with OS X. I only know how this is with Windows XP.

Lastly, where do I find this hack?

Thanks ahead of time :)
  2. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    You can access the display arrangements through System Preferences or the little display button on the menu bar, there's a lot of different ways you can arrange them plus you can choose which one is the main display, coolness...

And lastly: http://macparts.de/ibook/
  3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    I actually just ran the hack last week, and I'm a much happier person ever since.

Look at it this way. It isn't like you are making your laptop do something that it couldn't do before. It could always output to two displays with spanning, but Apple disabled this function in order to better differentiate powerbooks. We're just unlocking that feature.

I was worried that it would be really ghetto and stuff, but I just ran a program, and after the program, I could enable or disable monitor spanning in system preferences just like normal. It worked out really well for me. Besides, if you don't like it, the program can do a self unistall too.