iBook DVD volume problem

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JayDogg, Jun 26, 2003.

1. JayDogg macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2003
    I'm having a problem with my iBook when I play DVD's. The volume, even at max, is very low. I've checked the audio settings, but I can't find the problem. It plays other sounds (CD's, games, etc.) at proper volumes, but the DVD player is VERY low. It's a newer iBook (not a clamshell - G3 500 MHz I believe) running Jaguar. Any ideas?
  2. iShater macrumors 604

Aug 13, 2002
    Re: iBook DVD volume problem

You might have checked this already, but I thought the DVD player has its own volume setting independent of the system. Is that set to max and it is still low?
  3. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2003
    Huntington Beach, CA, USA
    Yes, first try maxing out the volume slider on the DVD Controller. Now, I also have an iBook, and I've found that some DVDs seem to be recorded at a lower volume than others. Some are too low to enjoy with just the iBooks built-in speakers. So you have a couple of choices. You can get a set of external speakers to plug-in, which helps dramatically. I got a portable Sony speaker set for just this purpose. Another thing you can do is try Audio Hijack, which is an OS X app that can "hijack" the audio stream from another app (like DVD Player), and then perform actions on it, including boosting the volume. Audio Hijack can also further enhance the audio, add effects to it, and even record to a file. Try it, it's a great app.
  4. macphoria macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2002
    Majority of DVD's audio is substantially quieter than CD's, VHS, TV, etc. Getting external speakers is a good idea. Personally, I use headphones.
  5. JayDogg thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2003
    The DVD-player volume is at maximum.

The volume isn't just low, it's almost inaudible.

Is there a "source-direct" type setting that I haven't found? It seems like that type of issue.

Any other ideas?
  6. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    sounds like the laser may be a bit weak. Is there any problem in visual quality?