iBook-eMac connection

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stoneage, Jun 18, 2004.

1. stoneage macrumors regular

stoneage

I purchased an iBook G4 and was wondering how to hook it up with my eMac to my cable modem. The iBook has AP Extreme and the eMac doesn't, but I am getting the new AirTunes Express when it is shipped. Is there someway that I can share the connection or do I have to plug and unplug the cable to use one or the other machines? What would be the best way to hook up the machines when I get the AP station?

2. chv400 macrumors 6502

I think that if you got a hub/switch you would be able to have the emac use internet sharing.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The other slightly more expensive option would be to get an AE card for the eMac.... The only real advantages of going that route would be that you wouldn't need to run cables between your eMac and your modem, and you could do rendezvous-ish things between your two Macs.

But yeah, if you had an AEBS instead of an Express, you could do it without any additional hw, but with the Express you will need a router. Fortunately they are cheap and with the wired ones there isn't even that much of a quality issue between different ones.

4. stoneage thread starter macrumors regular

stoneage

I am going with the regular Base Station. It makes more sense for me for now, as it is also a router, so I can lan the eMac directly to it without a router and use the iBook wirelessly. I really don't have to play iTunes through my stereo. Eventually, I will get the Express to take on the road.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Woh woh woh what are you talking about! The Express IS a router. All you need is the Airport Express. The only difference is the AEBS has a LAN port that you could connect to wired computers... but the price difference between the Airport Extreme and the AEBS is about the same as an AE card.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, that's more or less correct. The Express is a ROUTER but only a wireless one. It doesn't have the AEBS' limited wired routing capability -- the LAN port. That's exactly what I said. But you can't do what he's describing with just an AP Express. You either need an additional AP card for the eMac or you need to replace the Express with something that has wired LAN ports (AEBS or another WAP with wired access points).