iBook/eMac performance compared to current PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacSA, Sep 20, 2004.

1. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Is it all possible to make any kind of meaningful comparison between the performance of the iBook/eMac and a PC? I'm seriously considering switching, i've just about had it with Windows :mad:

Here's my PC setup I got in Jan 2001:

Intel Celeron 667mhz - no decicated graphics card, I beleive its "on the chip"?

320MB of PC100 SDRAM - up until a year ago i was using it with 64 mb, its a little faster now.

15gb Hard Drive.

......and Windows ME :eek: :eek:

I edit quite a few of my digital photos and its been ok (when it isnt crashing or freezing which its been doing almost daily lately) I should also say im not at all interested in playing games.

How would this set up compare to the 1ghz iBook or 1.25ghz eMac?

Thanks

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I would say you would notice a significant increase in performance with either the iBook or the eMac, and a whole world of better experiences with OSX over WindowsME - the Celerons were never the best performers and ME was widely reviled (although I actually had no real problems with it). If you're not interested in games then it probably comes down to whether you want a laptop and can pay the extra, or a desktop. Go with a minimum of 512Mb of RAM and enjoy!

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Oh, forgot to suggest you take a visit to a Mac store and take a test drive. That way you can get your own feeling for the difference.

4. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

Thanks for the response. The eMac is more in my price range. Unfortunatley there are no Apple stores here in the UK yet.

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

If you can find an Apple dealer nearby you can do the same thing - my sister did just that this last weekend, in Chelmsford I think.

6. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

I think there will be a huge increase in proformance. I upgraded to my powerbook (see sig) from a 2.8ghz dell with all great components to my powerbook and the difference was amazing. A lot of the reason is due to the os which is impossible to not like. Multitasking is great an i always have tones of aps open. Thing like photos will run perfect on both computers.

Good luck you wont be dissapointed.

7. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

You will see a real increase in speed with both machines. A friend of mine has two kids/wife and no money. He bought an emac about three months ago to make picture cd's for the family etc. He makes a steady diet of iphoto, photoshop elements, dvd's/movies for the family, in addition to the standard mail/internet. An emac is great family PC.

If frame rates on Unreal Tournament 04 matters to you, this is not the machine you want.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But you can buy Macs from quite a few places. John Lewis for one. Micro Anvika being another.

And if you want us to compare a 2004 Mac to a 2001 PC, then yes, the 2004 Mac will feel faster. Just get at least 512 MB of RAM (not from Apple) onto your system, and you're set. :)

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Go with the eMac. They are dirt cheap, lightning fast, and very nice starter computers.

You can also probably find an older eMac on eBay (it rhymes!) if you don't want to get a brand new one...but you might as well, for $800 bucks that is a great deal. Upgrade the hard drive, my only thing. The RAM is decent, but a total of 512 or 768 is better.